Whave is a social enterprise registered in Uganda. We work with communities, government authorities, social organisations and NGOs, to find and demonstrate solutions to poverty and conservation issues. Our team includes both local and international experts with professional capabilities ranging from engineering to social science.
We are currently seeking candidates to fill the role of Water Source Engineer under our Safe Water Security Programme in Kaabong and Kotido. Applicants are invited to email us at [email protected] by 2nd June 2017. All applications should include a CV and a cover letter including why this position interests you, how your previous experience is relevant and why you think you can achieve good results. Please also include your possible start date.
Water Source Engineer Role
The role as a Water Source Engineer will be to assist in the implementation of Whave’s project in Kaabong and Kotido to improve access to safe water in rural areas.
The main tasks of the Water Source Engineer will be as follows:
· Lead on assessing and technical rehabilitation of water sources
· Developing supply chains of spare parts stocks
· Build the capacity of local hand pump mechanics to maintain water sources
· Developing maintenance schedules for water sources
· Overseeing technical work by local hand pump mechanics
· Liaising with local officials from the district and sub-counties
· Development and promotion of water treatment and other sanitation and hygiene technology
· Development of life cycle tools assessments
As the role will involve a lot of interaction with local mechanics and communities good Karamajong is preferable but not essential.
The Water Source Engineer is also expected to provide admin support in addition to the above duties. This includes sharing your skills with other members of the team, general administration and keeping of accounts.
Skills and requirements
Successful applicants must have adequate skills and experience suitable for the tasks described above, including:
· At least three years of experience installing and/or maintaining rural water sources in Uganda
· High level communication and interpersonal skills
· Degree level education in engineering preferable
· Karamajong preferable
· Good computer skills such as knowledge of Excel and Word
· Ability to drive and ride a motorbike preferable
Working hours and conditions will be standard, with scope for flexibility to suit individual circumstances. Remuneration will be on a negotiation basis, depending on your skills and experience.
Applicants are invited to email us at [email protected] by 2nd June 2017. All applications should include a CV and a cover letter including why this position interests you, how your previous experience is relevant and why you think you can achieve good results. Please also include your possible start date.