JOB TITLE: Grants Associate
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
FULL/PART TIME: Full-time
START DATE: Mid-August
The S. D. Bechtel, Jr. Foundation focuses on advancing a productive, vibrant, and sustainable California. Because California faces many challenges that need attention now, the Board of Directors decided to invest all of the Foundation’s resources by 2020 in order to spur significant, meaningful change.
The Foundation’s two grantmaking areas are Education and Environment. The Education Program works in the areas of STEM education (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) and Character Development in both in-school and out-of-school settings. The Environment Program focuses on integrated water management and the stewardship of public and private lands in California. In each of these arenas, the Foundation hopes to leave stronger fields, anchored by enduring, well-run organizations and supported by research and evaluation findings that enhance understanding of effective policy and practice.
The Foundation Services team, led by the CFO, supports all of the Foundation’s operations. Grants Management, a team within Foundation Services, supports the Foundation’s mission and strategic program goals by coordinating grantmaking operations, systems, and data. The Grants Associate will be an integral part of this team and will report directly to the Senior Grants Manager. S/he is responsible for managing and executing the Foundation’s grantmaking workflow from proposal intake, to grant tracking, and closing out and archiving grant files. S/he also advises on and implements Foundation policies and procedures related to the grantmaking process.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Policies and Procedures
- Work to enhance and improve grantmaking workflow, procedures, guidelines, tools, and templates
- Maintain a grantmaking manual and communicate policies, procedures, and updates to staff
- Ensure that the Foundation adheres to legal requirements and best practices in the field
- Assist with addressing sensitive issues in the grantmaking process
Grant Processing and Tracking
- Serve as primary point of contact for grantees in utilizing the Foundation’s grants portal for submission of proposals and requirements
- Prepare proposal materials for review and approval, including the assembly of grant packets
- Confirm qualifying tax status for proposed grantees highlighting issues related to compliance and grant structure
- Process grant payments in a timely manner
- Schedule reporting requirements and future payments for new grants
- Monitor and ensure timely receipt of grantee reports
Systems and Information Management
- Assist with implementation and maintenance of grants management software
- Take lead in data entry and ensure integrity of data in the databases
- Produce reports on a regular basis, including grant activity reports, payout reports, and other reports as needed for the Board, senior management, and program teams
- Work with other staff to create useful and interactive reports
Orientation and Training
- Orient and train new staff on grants management processes and the grants database
- Provide ongoing training and technical assistance to staff to optimize grants database usage
- Conduct monthly reconciliation of grant payments with Finance Department
- Provide assistance on grants management projects as assigned by Senior Grants Manager
- Collaborate with staff on development and/or use of cross-departmental systems, tools, and processes
- Assist with the preparation of Board materials and meetings
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 3+ years in grants administration or equivalent work experience preferred
- Knowledge of grants administration processes; familiarity with IRS rules and regulations very helpful
- Adept at working with financial information
- Solid understanding of relational databases; familiarity with GIFTS and GivingData a plus
- Skilled user of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong organizational abilities, with close attention to detail and precision
- Customer service orientation, excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work well independently and with a team
- Excellent time management skills, results-oriented, and able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and deadlines concurrently
- Ability to discern sensitive matters and handle them with discretion and diplomacy
- Professional demeanor, dependability, integrity, good judgment, and sense of humor
PHYSICAL DEMANDS A candidate must have the ability to communicate clearly through both oral and written means. S/he must also have the ability to sit for extended periods both in meetings and at a computer, and must be able to lift 25 pounds.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY The S. D. Bechtel, Jr. Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
SALARY AND BENEFITS A competitive compensation package is available, including a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, and a comprehensive benefits package.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE Please submit an email with “Grants Associate Application” in the subject line, a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by July 5, 2016. Please provide all information electronically, no phone calls.