Job Number: 504587 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
Purpose of the Position
Under the general guidance of the Chief of WASH, the incumbent will work closely with the Ministry of Water Resources acting as the focal point for UNICEF with the responsibility for the overall management of the construction of municipal water supply and sanitation facilities. The incumbent will support the Ministry of Water Resources to prioritise key projects as well as, manage and monitor the construction and repair of water and sanitation activities effectively. The position will be based in Damascus, with travel to many parts of the country.
Key Expected Results
- Quality assurance is provided during all tendering, feasibility and construction phases, ensuring all procedures are documented, and compliant with UNICEF supply, procurement and operations procedures, protocols and national standards.
- Proper and timely UNICEF and government accountability measures incorporated to provide operational guidance during disbursement of program funds for UNICEF WASH projects and programs.
- Urban wash strategy and work plan is developed to aid the Ministry of Water Resources and to guide UNICEF’s prioritization and implementation process.
- Capacity building of local government and UNICEF staff in order to complete identified works to set standards, and to ensure objectives and targets are met and achieved
- Programme delivery, evaluation and reporting carried out efficiently, rigorously and transparently in compliance with the established guidelines and procedures.
- Progress reports and project work plans timely prepared, and effective technical assistance provided in the identification of required supplies and equipment, and in the drafting of Country Programme Recommendation and other project documentation, with specific attention to gender/sex disaggregation of relevant indicators.
- Appropriateness and completeness of financial and supply documentation as well as adherence to established allotments ensured.
- Knowledge sharing with counterparts, WASH sectoral stakeholders, donors and media promoted.
- Effective communication and networking achieved through partnership and collaboration.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: preferably Civil Engineering or Sanitary Engineering with secondary knowledge of Mechanical Engineering, Hydrology, public health or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance.
A first level university degree in Civil Engineering or Sanitary Engineering with secondary knowledge of Mechanical Engineering, Hydrology, public health or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance may be considered in lieu of advanced university degree combined with 10 years of experience.
2. Work Experience
- At least 8 years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization, national government or the private sector.
- At least 8 years experience in the identification, design, implementation and management of water and sanitation projects in an urban context. This includes practical experience in conducting feasibility studies, tender procedures, and construction supervision and over quality assurance.
- At least 8 years experience in the rehabilitation of municipal water and wastewater treatment plants preferably in the context of a humanitarian crisis
- Proven experience in advising senior counterparts in Government and in evidence based advocacy
- Work experience particularly on the Middle East, is highly desirable.
- A strong sense of initiative, drive for results and good communication skills are requirements
- Experience using project management systems and tools, Geographic Information System (GIS)/mapping tools
Fluency in English required. Arabic language skills are an asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
1. Core Values
- Diversity and Inclusion
2. Core Competencies
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Results [ II ]
3. Functional Competencies
- Leading and Supervising [ I ]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
- Analyzing [ III ]
- Relating and Networking [ II ]
- Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ III ]
To view our competency framework, please click here.
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that Damascus is a non-family duty station.
Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service
Opening Date Fri May 12 2017 08:00:00 GMT+0200 (SAST) FLE Daylight Time
Closing Date Mon May 29 2017 22:55:00 GMT+0200 (SAST)