About the Position
Water For People is a global nonprofit working across nine countries, bringing together communities, local entrepreneurs, and governments to build and maintain water and sanitation services that will last. We have a sustainable solution to end the global water and sanitation crisis, and our employees across the world help drive this solution.
Water For People is currently recruiting for the position of Programs Learning Manager. The Program Learning Manager supports programmatic learning and documentation across the organization. The position is critical to the creation and coordination of programmatic information flow between country programs, within the programs team, and across headquarters departments. The Program Learning Manager brings an innate curiosity and passion to learn, document, and share both internally and in the water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) sector.
Essential Job Functions and Duties
- Develop and implement a global knowledge management/learning strategy and plan
- Clearly identify requirements for knowledge management software for IT to research and develop
- Identify and organize organizational learning opportunities such as additional reflection sessions in-country, internal webinars, and external training opportunities
- Support documentation of Water For People programming such as global monitoring frameworks, strategies, programmatic learning to share with the WASH sector
- Champion incentivizing and recognition of development of such knowledge pieces, and time spent on learning as standard behavior including incorporation into performance management process
- Work with Global Programs team to identify and document best practices in Water For People programs for internal sharing purposes across the organization
- Review and analyze core data and critically review program work to develop a global annual summary of annual reflection data with support of Program Quality team
- Work with the Marketing team to identify the most effective way to develop sector—specific knowledge pieces for both external and internal audiences (blogs, videos, etc.)
- Document and disseminate programmatic information focused on learning within Water For People and the WASH sector
- Develop and maintain systems to organize and facilitate access to documentation and informational materials, including internal and external technical publications, tools, and manuals
- Support consistency across the organization with regards to messaging metrics for internal and external use in the WASH sector
- Lead coordination and preparation of research papers for conferences and academic publication
- Engage with Agenda For Change on sector leadership as needed
Internal Communication Support
- Periodically contribute to Senior Leadership Team newsletter and other key internal messaging
- Support Global Programs team by being the departmental point person for organizational-wide documents such as the global balance score card.
External Communication Support
- Support Regional Program Officers’ review of programmatic portions of Annual Report
- Occasional support to CEO with review of presentations and messaging that are sector specific and require technical knowledge
- Occasional support to Marketing team to review external messaging
Understands and communicates organizational approach, in different contexts to different internal and external audiences, including current and potential donors, and domestic and international partners
- Represents Water For People at conferences and meetings
- Represents Water For People program to various audiences and partners
Behaviors and Competencies
- Connects to the Mission – embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact in international development
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity– understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – shows empathy, a high comfort level in the developing world, and unquestionable integrity; able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Connects with Others – demonstrates exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, exceptional networker, key influencer, and be comfortable representing Water For People across a wide variety of audiences
- Action-oriented – has an unwavering commitment to delivering quality work products
- Manages through Ambiguity – demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity
- Self-confident – handles tough questions or critique in a professional manner assuming the best intentions; open to feedback and coaching.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in international development, economics, or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Master’s Degree in relevant field preferred
- 5+ years of experience in international development
- 2+ years of experience in knowledge management
- Experience working in the WASH sector preferred
- Experience working and/or living in a developing country
- Experience working in knowledge management
- Strong writer and communicator
- Strong data analysis experience, using data to identify trends and tell stories
- Monitoring & Evaluation experience to identify learning opportunities, successes, and challenges
- Advanced Excel
- Spanish fluency
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally to developing countries, where travel is rugged, up to 25% of the time.
- Required to work outside of normal business hours while traveling and when hosting international visitors.
- Ability to work in an open office environment.
- This position is based at Water For People headquarters in Denver, Colorado.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Deadline for submitting your application is 5 pm MDT, Monday, May 22, 2017.
This is a full time, exempt position with a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is competitive and commensurate with level of experience.
Water For People cannot provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Resumés and cover letters can be sent to [email protected]; please put the job title in the subject line. Please no phone calls or in person inquiries.