SEI is an independent international research institute, engaged in environment and development issues at local, national, regional and global policy levels for more than a quarter of a century. Our goal is to bring about change for sustainable development by bridging science and policy. We do this by providing integrated analysis that supports decision makers. SEI works from seven main locations, with additional offices linked to these. Project teams generally span locations.
The SEI Asia Communications Officer ensures the effectiveness of SEI’s internal and external communications in Asia through close collaboration with SEI colleagues in Asia. The Communications Officer helps Asia Centre researchers to identify key audiences for their work, and write and formulate key messages in suitable formats targeted to those audiences.
The CO is responsible for supporting the implementation of SEI Asia’s communications strategy together with SEI’s global communications team.
The CO reports to the Asia Communications Coordinator and works as part of the SEI communications team. Performance is evaluated in annual reviews against this job description.
- Develops content about SEI activities and achievements to feed various media channels including SEI Website, Social media platforms and other online venues
- Provides support to the Centre researchers on developing publications and targeted outreach materials
- Manages the public image of SEI Asia at strategic events and for the Centre Director
Publications and Output
- Develop Asia Centre outreach publications from projects, in collaboration with the global communications team.
- Work with the heads of Clusters and/or teams to write, edit, proof-read and produce materials (fact sheets, posters, flyers, and brochures) for Centre audiences, in collaboration with the global editorial team
- Coordinate with editors in SEI global communications at SEI Stockholm, and designers, either in Thailand or SEI to produce impactful and high quality publications
- Write news stories focusing on SEI’s research on topics related to sustainable development for SEI website
- Seek opportunities to develop articles and blogs based on research publications and research results
- Specific Cluster focus:
- In coordination with cluster heads, draft content for their respective programmes and initiatives (i.e. Climate Change, Energy, Disaster Risk Reduction, water resource management and others)
- Assist with editing and outreach support for the SEI Conference Support faciloity, including writing news for the events, website, implementing media outreach initiatives, and capacity building workshops.
Event management and publications sharing
- Together with the Cluster leads and the communications coordinator, coordinate and prepare SEI’s strategic presence at key events in the region and elsewhere
- Prepare publication materials for sharing at events or display booths
- Compile corporate materials and ensure these are readily available in the office when needed for outreach
- Ensure that SEI stories are visible to media through emails, tweets, Facebook and LinkedIn posts, and other outreach channels targeted to well-defined audiences
- Pitch stories to media
- Write blogs and op-eds for external media
Asia Centre visibility
- Support Asia Centre Director in managing his public profile in the region and online, by advising on meetings and events attended, supporting the director for participation in events, identifying opportunities to speak to the media or writing op-eds or blogs, and drafting news materials to tweet (and/or tweeting on Directors behalf)
- Build database of contacts (policy, academia and media) for outreach
- Provide editing support to staff in drafting reports and proposals (especially assist non-native English speakers with writing, and support their communications with SEI Asia regional partners)
Communications node as part of SEI’s global comms team
- When needed, may represent the Comms Coordinator in meetings with SEI global comms team and SEI comms in Stockholm, attend monthly global communications’ meetings, participate in the digital redesign process
- Secures opportunities to develop articles and blogs based on research publications and research results
- Builds capacity of employees on writing skills
- Manages content for publishing on websites and outreach materials
- Designs and develop database of contacts for outreach purposes
- Edits employees’ documents and reports as requested
- Develops content for Clusters’ and Centre materials as requested
- Designs and prepare publication materials for sharing at events or display booths
- Supports SEI’s strategic presence at key events in the region and elsewhere
- Compiles and updates Centre publicity materials and ensure these are readily available in the office when needed for dissemination.
Required Minimum Qualifications and Required Experience:
- Master’s degree with eight years’ work experience (or bachelor’s degree with at least 10 years’ experience) in the field of communications, social sciences communications, public relations or related discipline, or equivalent professional experience
- Familiarity or working knowledge of environmental issues in the region
- Demonstrated journalistic writing skills for producing web news stories, publicity materials, and social media posts (twitter, Facebook)
- Strong ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated planning and communication skills for events and display booths
- Familiarity with social media and communication technologies required
- Capacity to prioritise and manage a diverse range of tasks and activities
- Able to work well both independently and within a variety of teams, contexts and cultures
- Fluent in English (speaking, writing, and reading)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Fluent in other Asian languages
- Experience working in international environments
- Familiarity with Zotero
Salary package including health insurance and provident fund commensurate with background, skills and experience. SEI Asia offers an exciting and interesting opportunity to work alongside some of the region’s leading researchers to bring genuine change to the world we live in.