JASPERS (Joint Assistance to Support Projects in European Regions) is a tri-lateral partnership between the European Commission (Directorate-General for Regional Policy), the EIB and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), with the aim of helping EU and Acceding Countries achieve better access to EU Grant Financing under the Cohesion and Structural Funds and the Instrument for Pre Accession II, with particular emphasis on providing technical assistance in the preparation of eligible infrastructure projects. In the context of the Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF) 2014-2020, the high expected workload in the water sector, and with the expansion in the scope of eligible countries and mandates, including the Instrument for Pre Accession II (IPA II), JASPERS is seeking to identify suitable candidates for one present positions.
The successful candidate will assist within a multidisciplinary team and in close cooperation with the European Commission Directorate-General Regional Policy (DG REGIO), beneficiaries in the EU Member States and accession countries, within a multidisciplinary team, to prepare water projects (water supply, wastewater, flood risk management and coastal protection) to be co-financed by the Structural and Cohesion Funds. The jobholder will report to the Head of the Water and Wastewater Division in JASPERS and will cooperate closely with other colleagues (project engineers, economists, environmental experts) working in the division.
The post will be located in one of the above mentioned JASPERS regional offices. The Expert will be appointed to work as part of a team of engineers, economists, and environmental specialists in the Water and Wastewater Division of JASPERS. S/he will report to the Head of Division and will be responsible for a portfolio of projects in JASPERS countries of operations or horizontal actions at division level. S/he will work closely with Managing Authorities and project promoters in their countries of responsibility on assignments attributed by the Head of Division.
The successful applicant will be responsible for a broad range of expertise delivery; s/he will in particular:
- Manage and execute technical assignments for project preparation of water projects potentially eligible for EC grant funding; this includes i) Advise on the conceptual development and structuring of water projects; ii) Advise on the specific aspects of projects such as technical assessment, environmental assessment, procurement planning, project implementation, iii) Review masterplans, feasibility studies and EC grant application, iv) Review and advise on technical designs, environmental requirements, tender documents etc.
- Assist in the review, preparation or completion of applications for funding under the Cohesion Fund or the ERDF. Assess compliance with EU law and conformity with EU policy;
- Advise on the planning and programming of sector investment activities (water supply, wastewater, flood risk management, coastal protection) to improve access to Funding from EU sources; support preparation of a project pipeline suitable for future EC grant finance.
- Address sectoral, institutional or thematic issues which are limiting i) grant draw down capability and/or ii) the sustainable operation of the water management infrastructure across a number of projects or countries.
- Develop, through the implementation of model projects, the dissemination of international best practice, and the skills needed to take advantage of EU-grants. Contribute to measures for institutional strengthening and capacity building in beneficiary countries.
- Share his/her own information and experience in the preparation of projects with other members of the team in order to enlarge the knowledge and competencies of the team.
- Master degree (or equivalent) in Engineering with expertise in the area of water management; additional studies in the Environmental Domain, Economics, Business or Finance are considered advantageous.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in both
- the review and/or preparation of water projects (key phases of the project cycle such as preparation, appraisal, implementation, management and operation)
- relevant methodologies (e.g. masterplans, feasibility studies, cost estimates, EIA)
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in:
- Development of large and cost-efficient infrastructure projects in the water sector
- Preparation of Cohesion Fund and Structural Fund projects
- Knowledge of relevant EU sector policies and directives, international standards and best practices for the water sector (water supply, wastewater, flood risk management, coastal protection)
- Mitigation of climate related risks, assessing investment vulnerabilities to climate impacts and designing adaptation options to make investments climate resilient
- Structuring and operation of viable water service providers
- Procurement aspects of water projects
- JASPERS beneficiary countries
- Management of consultants
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English, with knowledge of one or more languages of the countries under the responsibility of JASPERS being an advantage.
- Knowledge of standard IT tools
- Achievement Drive: continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behaviour with the organisation’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation’s mission, policies and rules.
Deadline for applications: 5th June 2017
We believe that Diversity is good for our people and our business. We promote and value diversity and inclusion among our staff and candidates; irrespective of their gender, age, nationality, race, culture, education and experience, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability