Position Title: Program Associate 2
Location: Arlington, VA
Department: Clean Energy, Environment & Water (CEEW) Group
Reports to: Deputy Snr Director, Environment
The Program Associate (PA) will provide support in financial management of CEEW projects globally, support program/project implementation and management, as well as new business development, predominately in developing countries. In particular, the PA will possess finance acumen and strong business and analytical abilities (especially with numbers) and the belief that ‘the devil is in the details’. An ideal candidate would have experience working at INGOs, experience with creating and managing budgets, preparing and reviewing financial reports, analyzing project financials, and experience managing audits.
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Assist with development of budget and forecasting tools and processes, and providing necessary education to all staff domestically and internationally.
- Develop reporting and analysis solutions for communicating key project and portfolio financial information to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinate system development in pace with organizational requirements, covering technical to reporting to training needs, with independent capability.
- Ensure efficiency of reporting and availability of data tools for supported business area use and for trend analysis.
- Assist with strategic analysis for the CEEW group, requiring that the individual:
- Determines strategic relevance and priority for the Group;
- Secures buy-in from all internal stakeholders, and ensures consistency with external stakeholder and funder/client requirements;
- Properly maps out process and works to deadline;
- Own final product or educates necessary internal partner to pass on control.
- Train/coach others on appropriate processes.
- Identify areas for improvement to meet best business practices and exceed industry standards where feasible.
- Work with regional and functional teams across multiple countries to develop systems, reporting, and financial solutions that are effective at both a local and global level.
- Support day-to-day program/project implementation for donor-funded projects;
- Provide technical inputs on financial issues related to projects, when applicable (e.g. project finance analysis, financial viability and ROI analysis).
- Work with field teams to write and edit reports and other deliverables, ensuring quality of deliverables.
- Develop consulting agreements and review consultant expense reports.
- Mobilize and monitor short term consultants.
- Develop subcontract, purchase orders, and other agreements to support project implementation.
- Liaise with field staff, HQ staff/support units, project partners, and donors.
Project and Portfolio Management
- Liaise with Winrock’s Operations team (HR, Contracts, Procurement, etc.) to provide guidance to field teams.
- Track procurement correspondence and ensure procurement and IT units respond promptly to questions and requests for approval from the field.
- Assist with tracking and reporting project activities and deliverables.
- Oversee project accounting activities relating to expense reimbursements, advances, monthly payments, staff costs, indirect cost recovery, programmatic and budgetary analysis of projects and wire transfers by working with Winrock’s Finance team and the field offices.
- Support the review and analysis of the CEEW group’s annual budget, including overhead and budget analysis.
- Participate in monthly financial reviews to discuss financial progress on projects.
- Conduct historical analysis of project/ country office finances for trend analysis.
- Ensure regular analysis of the key indicators: Revenue, Expenses, Surplus and Deficit, ICR, etc.
- Conduct analysis on impact on projects due to change in NICRA, PI analysis, LOP loss/ profit analysis etc.
- Ensure that the financial reports to the donors are reviewed and submitted on time to the donor.
- Prepare accrual reports and forecasts for USAID and other projects.
New Business Responsibilities
- Work closely with Winrock’s Contracts, New Business Support, HR, and other administrative support units to develop and prepare new business proposals, engagement letters, and capabilities statements.
- Serve as the proposal manager for Winrock proposals, including assisting with technical program design and budget development.
- Assist in new business capture and intelligence gathering, and support donor and partner relationship.
- Other responsibilities will include researching and gathering client/prospect background information and working with proposal team to write, edit proof, coordinate and produce quality, targeted and accurate proposals.
- Schedule and coordinate strategic proposal activities, work with the lead consultant or others to determine roles, responsibilities and ensure deadlines are met.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field required. Master’s degree, preferred.
- Five to seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Exceptional verbal, writing and editing skills in English is required;
- Strong analytic, organizational and project management skills;
- Must be able to multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines;
- Ability to maintain the highest ethical standards
- Experience working on USAID-funded activities, including project and proposal coordination is highly desirable;
- Foreign language skills are highly desirable, especially French or Spanish;
- Team player – a demonstrated ability to interact effectively and sensitively with a broad cross-section of colleagues on multidisciplinary team;
- High level of proficiency in MS Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word.
- Experience working in a developing country is desirable; desire to work in and with partners in developing countries is required.
- Travel to developing countries is required for this position.