Who is Michael Baker International? Why would I want to work there?
Michael Baker International provides engineering, planning and consulting services for government, private and commercial partners, assisting in the planning, designing, environmental permitting, construction and program management. Our employees demonstrate a world-class ability to solve complex problems. As a company, We Make a Difference.
Our Virginia Beach office opened in 1983 and is a large, stable, multi-disciplined operation, serving primarily public sector clients. The office also serves as Mid-Atlantic regional headquarters for Michael Baker. Senior leadership is well connected with the local industry and clientele and has developed a diverse and energetic professional staff to serve our clients. The office is full service, with marketing, finance and other office support on-site. Because of the office’s size and regional status, office staff have many opportunities to work on challenging projects locally, or across the region and company.
Why do we do what we do; why is it important?
For most of us, our work enables us to have a direct and meaningful impact on the communities and environment in which we live and serve. Across the continuum of our expertise and projects, our work: transforms the world; enables economies; creates healthier and more engaging cities and neighborhoods; and engineers, plans and designs the very infrastructure that sustains and improves our world. Simply stated, the work we do everyday matters. We Make a Difference every day with every engagement.
So what does a Water/Wastewater Engineer at Michael Baker International do?
In this dynamic engineering role you will be a key part of our water/wastewater team located in Virginia Beach, VA. You will be responsible executing complex engineering and design tasks while partnering with our Project Managers on related water and wastewater projects.
Can you walk me through a typical day of a Water/Wastewater Engineer?
- You will be involved with a variety of water/ wastewater projects such as design of water/wastewater pipelines, pump stations, hydraulic modeling, and condition assessment of existing water/wastewater facilities.
- You will work as part of a project team and be responsible for planning, design development, calculations, presentations and overall project development for a variety of projects.
- Prepare design calculations and technical specifications for a variety of water and wastewater facilities, pipelines and pumping stations.
- Work in AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or MicroStation to develop construction drawings for water and wastewater facilities.
- Conduct field investigations to assess site conditions, inspect facilities and provide engineering support during construction.
- Conduct technical evaluations to support planning and design related to water and wastewater systems.
- Prepare and review technical memoranda, reports, drawings, specifications, and miscellaneous contract documents.
- Accompany Project Managers and Department Leaders to meetings with clients.
- Assist with technical marketing during the procurement of key projects, including participation in presentations.
- Communicate effectively and coordinate with project team members, including sub-consultants and other disciplines (geotechnical engineers, survey/mapping, GIS, designers, electrical engineers, structural engineers and other engineers).
What can I expect for a career path, and where might this role take me?
We are committed to the growth of our internal personnel and we support this with world class learning and development that leads to career advancement! There are many opportunities to advance or move laterally into other areas of interest within the business!
Could you be the Water/Wastewater Engineer we are looking for?
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with 5 to 10 years of related experience in water/wastewater engineering.
- Professional Engineer registration in Virginia (P.E.)
- Be self-starter, versatile and interested in working on a variety of projects supporting the Water/ Wastewater Group.
- Have excellent technical writing and communication skills.
- Knowledge in AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D, and MicroStation.
- Proficient in Hydraulic Modeling of water distribution and sewer collection systems.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office including Word, Outlook, Project, Excel and PowerPoint.
How do I apply?
Select the Apply Online button at the top or bottom of this ad, and provide us your resume. If you want to do some more digging first, please check out our Glassdoor, LinkedIn and Great Places to Work pages.