This is a two to three-year special fixed-term appointment. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term.The position title on appointment is Senior Climate Change Specialist (Climate Change Adaptation)
Contribute to the implementation of ADB climate change adaptation program, with a view to enabling the achievement of ADB’s commitment to enhance its investments in adaptation to $ 2 billion by 2020. Provide advice, expertise and technical support to operations to mainstream climate adaptation into ADB operations through, among others, the effective bank-wide implementation of the climate risk management framework. Develop knowledge products and disseminate these through training and networks. Take the lead in providing technical support and advice to operations departments in accessing internal and external adaptation funds. To provide substantive technical assistance to ADB operations in designing 2-3 climate resilience investment projects per year through a combination of ongoing advisory services, document reviews, contribution-oriented knowledge products and mission support. Work within general policies, principles and goals, working directly with clients.
a. Climate Change Adaptation Strategies
• Support the integration of climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction policies and frameworks.• Provide intellectual leadership in development of resilience metrics to enable a comprehensive impact assessment of adaptation investments.• Provide technical inputs to the preparation of country or sub-regional assessments, including inputs for country programming to ensure climate change adaptation are incorporated in Country Partnership Strategies and Regional Cooperation Strategies.
b. Project Development and Processing• Lead the provision of technical advice on climate risk management in programs and projects, and identify necessary adaptation measures.• Provide technical advice on the development of adaptation projects, including through the consideration of climate resilient strategies, policies, practices as well as technologies for achieving sustainable development under a changing climate across various sectors.• Provide focused strategic advice on investments in the urban and agriculture and natural resources sectors to enhance climate resilience through structural and non-structural adaptation interventions.• Provide technical advice to operations departments in preparing concepts/proposals and other requirements of various financing facilities.
• Provide advice and thought leadership for the implementation of regional technical assistance (RETA) projects on adaptation, especially focusing on regional cooperation.
c. Knowledge generation and sharing• Source external knowledge and networks to develop guidance notes and technical notes (i.e. sector/ thematic studies and assessments, good practices, and guidelines), to enable achievement of the commitment of $ 2 billion in adaptation financing. • Provide technical inputs to the development of training and capacity building programs for staff, executing agencies of developing member countries (DMCs), and other concerned parties.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Provides supervision to others in completing their technical tasks
- Called upon for advice and guidance based on expertise gained by working in different countries and organizations
- Contributes advanced knowledge and expertise to different parts of the Department
- Proposes effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting issues and past challenges
- Assists colleagues adapt to the cultural and business norms of diverse clients and country situations
- Gains respect for the breadth and depth of expertise demonstrated in effectively managing diverse clients and country situations
- Called upon to resolve client situations that may impact their long-term ADB relationship
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Resolves situations where client needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Ensures that thorough analysis includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts
- Sought out for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan for and achieve results
- Addresses team members not contributing to required standards
- Commits to delivering timely and high quality work to assist in the team’s success
- Develops and maintains good internal and external peer and senior level relationships
- Helps teams understand common features to build rapport and overcome challenges
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides stakeholders with the level and quality of information required to achieve outcomes
- Encourages others to seek long-term solutions to address feedback opposed to focusing on immediate concerns or reactions
- Uses breath of multi-country and multi-client knowledge to equip clients and staff for more effective outcomes
- Designs and implements project and program knowledge and services
Innovation and Change
- Consistently seeks more effective and practical ways for the Departmental delivery of services, products, and processes
- Proposes new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services
- Includes the core benefits and reasons for change when developing comprehensive change roll out plans
- Influences and persuades decision makers by presenting business cases supporting the proposed changes
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Environmental Sciences, Economics or Engineering, or related fields. University degree in Environmental Sciences, Economics or Engineering, or related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree
Work experience• At least 8 to 10 years of relevant experience in management of climate change adaptation-related projects at senior levels (e.g. leading projects)• International experience working in several countries• Experience in developing adaptation projects in urban and/or agriculture and natural resources sectors, will be an advantage
Technical knowledge• Strong multidisciplinary competence combined with substantial expertise in climate change adaptation, institutions and capacity building• Familiarity with operations, policies and procedures of multilateral financial institutions, and experience in processing and implementation of ADB TAs and loans• Able to utilize and share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community
People and leadership skills• When required, able to act as a mission leader / team lead, exercising supervision coordination, and planning responsibilities over the assigned team, with oversight from the Director or a more senior team leader • Act as a mentor to more junior team members, providing guidance on projects and processing of loans/technical assistance• Act as a coach to develop the capabilities/potential of more junior colleagues• Strong interpersonal, conceptual and analytical skills.• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Supervisor: Director
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.