Title: Emergency WASH Manager
Country: GOAL UK
Location: London with frequent travel
Reporting to: Global WASH Advisor
Date: July 2016
General Description of the Programme
GOAL’s Emergency Medical Team, is part of an expanding Health Department. A new initiative to strengthen GOAL’s Health response in emergencies, building on recent work in the West Africa Ebola response and recognising more widely that there is a significant gap in global health service provision for the most vulnerable, GOAL is developing a dedicated emergency response capability.
The Emergency Medical Team (EMT) will consist of a team of technical and operations staff capable of rapid deployments to health crises, supporting on-going health programming, undertaking needs assessments and providing remote support to GOAL Country Programmes. The EMT will work in both sudden onset and chronic emergencies, respond to infectious disease outbreaks and stand ready to depoy at short notice to health crises globally.
Overview of the role
The Emergency WASH Manager is responsible for managing all technical and managerial aspects of the WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) for GOAL’s EMT, responsible for all work related to water supply, treatment and quality monitoring sanitation including latrines, waste water and solid waste management, and hygiene.
Whilst not on deployment the position will contribute to GOAL’s global level of emergency preparedness in collaboration with the EMT, Global WASH Advisor and humanitarian department and additionally support country programmes, including new programme development, start up activities and emergency preparedness planning.
- During and emergency response provide technical and management support to the WASH element of the EMT’s response primarily focused on health facilities – including PHC, Secondary, and Cholera. Ranging from mobile, temporary static and existing health facilities e.g. MOH. This support will include support to donor compliance, reporting and staff recruitment, and management/capacity building
- Formation of alliances and consortia with key strategic partners including INGO, local NGO, and private sector.
- Represent GOAL at national and international level WASH coordination forum
- Ensure implementation of programmes which are possible to transition from an emergency response to development
- Ensure that GOAL WASH response is in-line with internal GOAL quality expectation, international humanitarian standards such as SPHERE and in-country response standards
- Develop and implement systems to enhance GOAL WASH emergency Preparedness and Response plans, including periodic monitoring and updating
- Work with the Logistics department to build necessary links and relationships with suppliers in terms of material/product specifications
- Ensure appropriate and sufficient provision of clean, safe water to all elements of the EMT response primarily focused on health facility (which may include: PHC clinic, mobile clinics, hospitals, cholera and Ebola treatment centres) and any associated staff accommodation
- Provide technical oversight in the placement, construction and management of the water treatment and distribution system related to the supported health facilities and health programme of the response; ensuring that all hardware components are correctly placed and maintenance schedules are in place and adhered to
- Provide technical oversight in the placement, construction and management of latrines, showers and hand washing stations, including their maintenance, cleaning and de-sludging
- Ensure a staggered approach to latrine and shower construction in line with the expected patient intake.
- Ensure the appropriate disposal and management of hospital waste working closely with the medical staff
- Provide technical oversight in the placement, construction and management of drainage channels, grease pits and soak away pits, including their maintenance and disposal of grease for EMT health facilities
- Manage the recruitment of national level staff to assist in the maintenance and daily operations of the WASH system and provide specific capacity building to a WASH Officer who will manage all activities following the departure of the WASH manager
- Provide on the job training for relevant staff to ensure standards are maintained throughout the deployment of the EMT
- Provide surge support to ongoing programmes, programme development and programme start up
Requirements (Person Specification)
- Strong working experience in a coordinating function in WASH programming with an International NGO in various humanitarian contexts
- Experience of developing emergency preparedness and response plans for country programmes
- Degree Public Health, Water and Sanitary Engineering or Civil Engineering or equivalent.
- Strong demonstrable experience in all aspects of project management including project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, financial management and the design/utilization of appropriate project management tools, and the capacity to transfer this experience to others
- Knowledge and experience of working in cholera outbreaks and of IPC protocols and hygiene practices
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational and management skills with extensive experience and staff mentoring capacity
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Willingness to travel extensively at short notice
- Exceptional communication, networking, analysis and writing skills
- Experience of proposal development and writing donor reports
- Strong demonstrable experience in liaising with governmental/local authorities and other NGOs
- Post-graduate professional qualification with specific focus on water, sanitation and hygiene.
- Proficient in a second language such as French, Spanish or Arabic
- Experience with institutional donors (DFID, ECHO and OFDA)
General terms and conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
Candidates will be vetted in accordance with the GOAL Child Protection Policy.
Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.