The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition groups, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Anbar province, Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk and Kirkuk. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
More recently NRC in Iraq has been responding to the ongoing Mosul crisis, where large number of people are still in grave danger. NRC is now establishing the Area Office in Mosul to better assist the displaced population.
WASH Project Manager
The purpose of the WASH Project Manager is to oversee the entire WASH response of the West Mosul WASH projects, working closely with the implementing partner to ensure tasks are carried out.
- Manage the implementation of the WASH activities in West Mosuland ensure quality control of the programme;
- Ensuring that all activities are in accordance with Sphere and WASH cluster standards;
- Establish close relationships with partners and onsite WASH cluster and other coordination body;
- Participate in relevant meetings and ensure constructive co-operation with local authorities, other national and international NGOs and UN;
- Closely monitor the adherence to logistic, financial, and anti-corruption guidelines, especially related to procurement, contracting and purchase;
- Establish close relationships with partners and actively coordinate with other WASH actors to ensure constructive co-operation with local authorities, other national and international NGOs and UN;
- Develop and manage a partnership implementation agreement (PIA) with local NGO, including partnership engagement strategy, monitoring and reporting, and capacity building;
- Under the supervision of the AM, coordinate with other CC PMs/PCs for a service integrated response. Supervise the referral pathway between the first line emergency response, second line and longer NRC term assistance.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A University or higher education graduate in a subject relevant to the assignment (preferably in Engineering, Geology), a seasoned manager with minimum 5 years of proven working experience from a senior level project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context. Our ideal candidate will have technical WASH expertise in engineering and/or public health, experience from working in large urban WASH humanitarian programmes in emergency as well as in complex and volatile contexts, and documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
We are looking for candidates who are fluent in English (written, spoken and read).
If this sounds like you, apply now to join one of the world’s leading NGO’s and be part of a team of highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world’s biggest displacement crisis.
Contract period: 6 months with possible extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Hammam Al-Alil, Iraq
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
NB: Please enter the geographical location in the “Company name” field for both company and location on your application.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
Due to emergency requirements, NRC will start screening applications and CVs after 1 week of the date of this announcement.
For more information, please find attached the job description.