The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition groups, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Anbar province, Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk and Kirkuk. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
More recently NRC in Iraq has been responding to the ongoing Mosul crisis, where large number of people are still in grave danger. NRC is now establishing the Area Office in Mosul to better assist the displaced population.
WASH Project Coordinator
The purpose of the WASH Project Coordinator is to oversee the entire WASH response of the West Mosul WASH Projects, working closely with the implementing partner to ensure tasks are carried out.
- In close collaboration with the WASH Project Manager expand, develop, coordinate and manage NRC’s WASH projects in the west Mosul area program
- In close collaboration with WASH Project Manager & Specialists, develop appropriate modalities for project activity implementation (contractor driven, community driven, owner driven, tenant driven or mixed modality)
- In close collaboration with WASH Project Manager, develop awareness and education materials, beneficiary and community engagement tools, and minimum standard specifications for WASH project implementation.
- Manage the NRC project staff, providing on the job technical training as required to increase the capacity of the team.
- Coordinate and supervise implementation of all WASH activities such as latrine construction with septic tanks, installation of bathing facilities, installation of water tanks and piping network, water quality monitoring, distribution of Hygiene materials, and others.
- Ensure that WASH activities are in accordance with NRC’s and Government rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Supervise the preparation of technical designs/drawings and bill of quantities for construction works, and as well participate in the preparation of tender documents required
- Prepare narrative and budgets for proposals in conjunction with the responsible managers and ensure that all project activities are implemented in accordance with approved budget
- Report regularly the progress of NRC’s project activities as required internally and by donors
- Attend WASH project review meetings and regular stakeholders meetings happening in the area program
- Any other duties assigned by supervisor
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A University or higher education graduate in a subject relevant to the assignment (preferably in Engineering, Geology), with proven working experience as a WASH Officer / Coordinator in a humanitarian/recovery context. Our ideal candidate will have professional knowledge of contract management, skills in monitoring & evaluation, be experienced in early recovery / reconstruction and have the knowledge of the context in Iraq. We are looking for candidates who are fluent in English (written, spoken and read) with a good working knowledge of the Arabic language.
If this sounds like you, apply now to join one of the world’s leading NGO’s and be part of a team of highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world’s biggest displacement crisis.
Contract period: 6 months with possible extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Hammam Al-Alil, Iraq
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
NB: Please enter the geographical location in the “Company name” field for both company and location on your application.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
Due to emergency requirements, NRC will start screening applications and CVs after 1 week of the date of this announcement.
For more information, please find attached the job description.