Duration: Permanent position, with a 6 months’ probation period
Start date: As soon as possible but no later than 1 August 2017
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Application deadline: 5 May 2017
Open to: External and internal candidates
How to apply
Please use the “apply now” button below. Applications sent via e-mail will not be accepted. Attachments should be in PDF or Word format and should consist of a CV and a cover letter that highlights relevant qualifications and experience. Applications must be written in English and arrive at SEI as soon as possible but no later than Friday, 5 May 2017.
We are now recruiting a Head of Unit to the Stockholm Centre. The position presents an opportunity to join a leading research institute and contribute to the management of a growing and dynamic research environment. Reporting to the Centre Director, the Head of Unit will manage a team of researchers and project managers and be part of the Management Team of the Stockholm Centre. The position will also provide the opportunity to actively engage in externally funded research activities within the research field of the unit.
As Head of Unit (50%), key responsibilities include:
- Act as the immediate manager of the employees in the unit, represent the employer in all matters concerning work, i.e. performance and development dialogues, target setting, follow up and work-environment;
- Be an active member of the Stockholm Centre management team, contributing to the strategic development of the Centre;
- Provide overall and ongoing guidance and support to the unit employees, addressing management, implementation, reporting, and monitoring and evaluation of projects;
- Be responsible for the professional development of the employees in the unit;
- Be responsible for resource planning and time reports to achieve a balanced work load for all unit employees, and across the unit; and
- Stimulate unit employees in identifying and developing research projects in line with the SEI strategy.
As Senior employee (50%) we expect the selected candidate to:
- Develop and lead a strong, visible and lasting research portfolio involving several SEI research employees in the field of natural resources management and international development;
- Interact with policymakers and other stakeholders, and represent SEI at key events; and
- Successfully raise funds from a variety of Swedish and international funding agencies including the private sector.
The applicant should possess outstanding leadership, project management and research skills. She/he should have proven interdisciplinary research experience and ability to work with various stakeholders. The applicant should demonstrate an understanding of both development and environment issues in line with the SEI mission, and be able to conduct independent analysis and contribute to the creative research environment of the Stockholm Centre.
- Outstanding leadership skills, including a minimum of 5 years of people- and project managment experience in a knowledge-based organization;
- Strong interest and capacity to support colleagues in their development process, both as individuals and as a team;
- Strong research and project management experience in the field of natural resources management and international development;
- Proven ability to engage in knowledge production towards high level policy making and an established network within national administration, multilateral organizations, research institutes and non-profit organizations;
- A strong record of research project design and management, securing funding, and publications;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, for both technical and public audiences; and
- Experience in working in international, multi-disiplinary research teams in policy environments, and with international partners.
Inquiries concerning the content of the position should be directed to Cecilia Berg, Recruitment and Competency Specialist ( [email protected])
The selected candidate will be employed by SEI in Stockholm, following Swedish labor laws. Remunerations will be competitive based on the Swedish market and will be subject to Swedish income tax.