This exciting career opportunity is available to an appropriately qualified and experienced candidate who will lead SANBI’s programme of work on mainstreaming biodiversity and ecological infrastructure in a range of strategic sectors.
This appointment requires a relevant post-graduate degree or equivalent qualification in the Natural, Social or Agricultural Sciences. A minimum of 8 – 10 years’ experience, of which 5 years must be in middle management. Ability to analyse scientific information and provide evidence-based advice for policy and practice. The incumbent must have thorough working knowledge of the principles of biodiversity planning and biodiversity mainstreaming, particularly into water and agriculture, combined with a general understanding of the concept of ecological infrastructure and its theoretical underpinnings.
Furthermore the suitable candidate must be in possession of a valid Code B driver’s license, as well as be willing to travel. The ability to maintain sound interpersonal relations and highly effective verbal and written communication capabilities are essential.
The appointee will be responsible for:
- Lead SANBI’s programme of work on mainstreaming biodiversity and ecological infrastructure into the water, mining and agriculture sectors
- Provide policy advice to the Department of Environment Affairs and other organs of state on matters related to ecological infrastructure as well as relevant multilateral agreements
- Provide technical and policy support on natural resource management to DEA and others including developing science-based tools in support of policy objectives related to ecological infrastructure;
- Providing strategic leadership and oversight to large multi-stakeholder landscape scale ecological infrastructure projects and;
- Lead a programme of work on ecosystem-based adaptation to climate change
- mobilise resources
- drive human capital development and transformation
Inclusive remuneration package of R898 743 per annum, of which 70% is basic and the balance structured by the incumbent (Salary Level 13)
- Applications must be accompanied by a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
- A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Applicants must also provide the full names, address and telephone number and if possible e-mail address of at least three referees.
- An application form must accompany the CV and motivational letter. Download Application Form.
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Ms Ethel Mokgoko on 012 843 5214 if further information required. Email completed application form, a motivational letter and concise CV to [email protected] or fax to 012 843 5222. Postal applications are to be addressed to: The Director – Human Resources, South African National Biodiversity Institute, Private Bag X101, Pretoria, 0001.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 21 days of the closing date, candidates may assume that their applications were unsuccessful.
Please note that any emails sent to SANBI must be under 10MB in size.