As a Junior Researcher working in the field of biodiversity and ecosystem services, you would support our team in the preparation of current projects with a particular focus on the following three topic-areas: (1) management of aquatic biodiversity (freshwater, coastal and marine), (2) the delivery of ecosystem services by green and blue infrastructure and (3) nature-based solutions.
As a team-member, you would also support the acquisition of new projects in this area with the goal of permanent employment.
What will your job entail?
- You will contribute to German and European projects.
- You will evaluate biodiversity and spatial planning policies, and assessing their environmental impacts.
- You will analyze benefits of nature-based solutions / green and blue infrastructure as well as causalities between biodiversity, ecosystem functions and services.
- You will conduct case studies, including desk-based research, interviews and potential study-site visits.
- You will contribute to the development of policy guidance and recommendations.
- You will support to project acquisition processes and the drafting of project reports, scientific publications, policy briefs, etc.
What do we expect from you?
- a master’s degree (environmental governance, environmental science, geography, landscape planning)
- 1-2 years of relevant experience in the analysis of EU environmental policy and the assessment of ecosystem services
- good working knowledge of the EU Biodiversity Strategy, Green Infrastructure Strategy, Marine Strategy Framework Directive and Water Framework Directive
- general familiarity with the concepts and application of nature-based solutions, ecosystem-based management/approaches, and green infrastructure
- knowledge of other EU and German adaptation, nature, and land use policies is beneficial
- experience with economic assessments (e.g. MCA, cost-benefit assessments) would be an added value
- excellent analytical skills, as well as written and spoken German and English; other language skills would be beneficial
- ability to work independently and within an interdisciplinary team
- ideally, experience in project acquisition, writing of policy recommendations and/or policy briefs, and drafting project reports
What do we offer?
- a chance to work on exciting projects with a high level of relevance for policy
- a pleasant working environment in an international, intercultural and interdisciplinary team
- creative latitude which allows you over time to set individual priorities and develop your own area of expertise
- a flexible and family-friendly working environment based on a flat hierarchy
- an attractive salary and individual opportunities for professional development
How do you apply?
Please apply exclusively through our online application form.
You will need to provide the following documents:
- letter of motivation
- relevant work and study certificates
- sample of work in German and/or English (max. 20 pages each) or a personal publication or study
- two contact persons as references