The Senior Manager, State Policy, under the direction of the Senior Manager of Federal Policy, will design and lead Ceres’ strategy on state policy. This opening is designed for a highly motivated, self-starter, and team player looking to be an advocate for Ceres’ state policy goals. The full-time position reports to the Senior Manager, Federal Policy and is located in our Boston office.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- In partnership with the Senior Manager, Federal Policy, design strategy for and oversee Ceres’ state policy work to support climate and energy policies in Ceres’ priority states through earned media and policy maker engagement
- Enlist businesses and investors, on an on-going basis, to support climate and energy policy action in priority states
- Research policy issues and develop action plans in response to legislative and regulatory developments of relevance
- Represent Ceres externally with business and investor partners, and other stakeholders, as requested by Senior Program Director, or Senior Manager, Federal Policy, or as needed.
- Write policy positions, fact sheets, talking points and briefings for Ceres policy team, Ceres staff, business and investor partners, and policymakers
- Collaborate with Ceres Communications team on communications opportunities and needs for the State Policy team
- Conduct outreach to state lawmakers to advance Ceres policy goals
- Supervise 2 to 3 members of the State Policy team, including staff development, training, performance reviews, hiring, and termination.
- Master degree or equivalent education, preferred
- Bachelor degree, required
- 7 years work experience, preferred
- 3 or more years of experience working on energy and/or climate change policy issues; experience with state legislatures or state government a plus
- 3 years of experience supervising staff, including ability to provide training and support staff development
- Strong knowledge of energy and climate change issues, including an understanding of investor and business-focused policy debates, and NGO concerns
- Experience working with companies and investors, a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to bring an advocacy perspective to both analysis and corporate engagement and to make clear recommendations for actions and next steps.
- Substantial expertise on environmental and/or social issues.
- Demonstrated project management skills of multiple, complex projects.
- Planning expertise and delivering projects on deadline and within time and resource budgets. Attention to detail is required.
- Effective presentation style as well as strong speaking and written communication skills.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, proven ability to demonstrate initiative and motivation.
- Demonstrate initiative and willingness to take on projects that support the success of the team and Ceres.
- Successful record of organizing multiple projects, coordinating and facilitating multi-stakeholder dialogues, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work as part of a team and take a collaborative approach, and to deliver independent projects.
- Ability to bring a positive outlook and energetic commitment to working at Ceres on a daily basis.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, to [email protected] Please use the words “Senior Manager, State Policy” in the subject line of your e-mail message.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.