Los Angeles Waterkeeper (LAW), a dynamic nonprofit organization founded in 1993 to protect and restore the Santa Monica Bay, San Pedro Bay, Los Angeles River, and adjacent waterways, is seeking a highly-motivated individual to join our team as Outreach & Volunteer Coordinator. As part of a cohesive effort to safeguard not only our coast but also our inland waterways, LAW aims to significantly expand outreach efforts and partnerships throughout LA County. Diverse, bilingual applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
The Outreach & Volunteer Coordinator will: oversee Waterkeeper’s engagement in community events throughout LA County, support other staff and contractors in organizing LAW’s signature fundraising and outreach events, grow and mobilize our volunteer base, and support efforts to increase LAW’s recognition in the community.
This position reports to the Communications Manager. Responsibilities: Community Outreach & Events
- On an annual basis, develop a master events plan (including LAW’s signature and programmatic events, and outside community events), outlining clear goals, objectives and action plans to achieve desired outcomes.
- Oversee Waterkeeper’s involvement (e.g., boothing) at community events, street fairs and other non-LAW events throughout LA County, including: overseeing annual calendar and tasklists, coordinating all logistics, recruiting/ overseeing volunteers, and participating in such events as needed.
- Lead Waterkeeper’s beach and river clean-up efforts (including Waterkeeper’s site at Coastal Cleanup Day), including: coordinating logistics, serving as liaison with partner organizations and/or sponsors, promoting LAW’s involvement, recruiting and overseeing volunteers and participating in such events as needed.
- Work with LAW’s Marine and Watershed staff to coordinate regular outreach and programmatic events throughout LA County; support programs staff in organizing and staffing community partner events.
- Manage outside contractors in coordinating LAW’s signature Stand Up For Clean Water paddle event and marine festival.
- Support LAW’s development and communications staff and outside contractors in organizing LAW’s signature Making Waves fundraiser.
- Manage all aspects of outreach materials, including maintaining, storing and stocking Waterkeeper materials.
- Assist Communications/Development Managers with any membership, communications, and marketing efforts; for example, liaison with design consultants to develop LAW brochure and other collateral materials as needed.
- Support Development Manager in executing membership benefits program and managing correspondence with members, when needed.
Volunteer Engagement & Communications
- Recruit outreach volunteers in order to establish and sustain a volunteer core that is trained and knowledgeable in Waterkeeper’s programs, and who can effectively represent LAW to the community at outreach and fundraising events, speaking and education forums, and other related events.
- Assist with recruitment of and data organization related to: watershed, marine, legal, and other volunteers and interns, in an effort to support programs and advocacy staff in volunteer/intern management.
- Field and manage all volunteer inquiries that come to Waterkeeper, working with Waterkeeper staff to properly place.
- Coordinate, streamline and improve volunteer communications.
- Organize volunteer orientation and appreciation events on a quarterly basis.
- Assist Communications Manager with managing social marketing strategy, maintaining LAW’s blog and social media accounts, and circulating monthly online newsletter The Surge and other e-advocacy efforts—particularly as items relate to volunteer recruitment/events, community events, outreach etc.
- Support any grantwriting or other fundraising activities needed to support outreach efforts.
- Develop and manage LAW’s outreach and volunteer budget.
- Provide regular progress reports on outreach and volunteer activities for the Waterkeeper board of directors and managers.
- Provide other support to the LAW team as needed to help further Waterkeeper’s recognition throughout the LA community.
Qualifications & Requirements: Applicants must have a college degree and at least two years of outreach, volunteer management, and/or event planning experience—preferably in the nonprofit arena. Applicants must have excellent oral and written communication skills as well as highly developed organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to motivate and manage community volunteers.
The ideal candidate is hard working, extremely organized, self-motivated, enjoys working in a team setting, and demonstrates a deep commitment and passion for conservation and environmental protection. The ideal candidate is an outgoing ‘people-person’ with bilingual proficiency. Spanish language fluency is strongly desired.
Candidates with database management experience (e.g. Salesforce, eTapestry, Constant Contact), website and design software familiarity, and social media expertise preferred.
Job requires ability to work in standard office environment as well as at event sites, which often requires physical exertion, such carrying cleanup supplies and setting up outreach booths events. Weekend work and the ability to drive throughout LA County needed.
Salary, Benefits & Terms Salary: $42,000-$46,000, based on qualifications
Schedule: Full-time position. Candidate must be open to working a flexible schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends.
Benefits: Paid health and dental insurance, vacation and sick leave
An Equal Opportunity Employer Los Angeles Waterkeeper is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Los Angeles Waterkeeper maintains a policy of non-discrimination in regard to age, ancestry, color, creed, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other class protected by applicable state or federal law. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Los Angeles Waterkeeper Founded in 1993, Los Angeles Waterkeeper’s (Waterkeeper) mission is to protect and restore Santa Monica Bay, San Pedro Bay, the Los Angeles River, Ballona Creek and adjacent waters through enforcement, fieldwork, and community action. LA Waterkeeper is a proud member of the California Coastkeeper Alliance and is one of more than 300 members of the international Waterkeeper Alliance, led by Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. Waterkeeper works not only on pollution issues specific to the Los Angeles area, but also with our Waterkeeper partners on issues of statewide and national significance.
How To Apply
To Apply Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references (including contact information) to [email protected] by May 10.