IFMR & EPoD are currently seeking two Research Associates to support research-policy projects related to energy and environment in India.
Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at the Center for International Development at Harvard University has partnered with India’s IFMR LEAD, based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research, to implement a series of research projects focused on development policy in India. Both IFMR LEAD and EPoD are dedicated to using rigorous evidence to address challenging questions at the intersection of economic development and public policy. Our cutting-edge research examines questions related to governance, financial inclusion, livelihoods, gender, and sustainable development, drawing from a network of expert academics with expertise in India and around the world.
IFMR is currently seeking two Research Associates to support research-policy projects related to energy and environment in India. The program requires self-starting candidates who can manipulate and analyze large datasets and extract useful insights for various policy partners; implement field-based research; navigate India’s institutional landscape and appropriately represent IFMR and EPoD to outside stakeholders; and provide crucial support for IFMR and EPoD program operations in India. The selected candidate(s) will have the opportunity to work with leading economists and public policy experts from Harvard University, IFMR LEAD, and government and civil society agencies across India.
- Conduct extensive data cleaning, manipulation, and analysis using government data sources – including hiring and overseeing data entry personnel, where necessary
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation of field-based research (scoping, project implementation) – including the management of field personnel, procurement, budgets, and reporting
- Represent IFMR and coordinate cooperative work with government partners
- Review and report on academic literature of requested topics in support of policy briefs and research projects
- Provide appropriate inputs for project management (budgets, reports, etc.) for IFMR in India and for program monitoring and reporting to the management hub at Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard
- Others, as required
- Bachelors in economics or related field and 1-2 years of experience in research- or policy-relevant work
- Excellent English and basic Hindi oral and written communication skills
- At least intermediate-level experience with Stata
- Computer literacy (i.e. Microsoft Office) and computer research skills
- Strong interest in public policy and economic development in low-income countries
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage with policy partners
- Masters in economics or related field
- Experience with data acquisition and manipulation in Python
- Experience with text analysis and fuzzy matching Stata and/or Python
- Familiarity with randomized control trials; econometrics; and implementation of field research projects
- Experience working with Indian government agencies
- Excellent Hindi and/or Gujarati communication skills are desired
- Experience with financial management
- Interest in and knowledge of energy and environmental policy issues in India
This position will be based in Delhi, India, with some travel within India expected