Provide advice, expertise and support to operations departments on environment management and safeguards issues. Provide inputs on technical assistance, policy dialogue, and knowledge sharing for green growth including support for investments in environmentally sustainable growth. Support preparation, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the Environment Thematic Group (ETG) work plan including operational and knowledge support, and talent management. Develop and disseminate knowledge products through internal and external networks, design and deliver training and undertake other knowledge management activities including knowledge sharing events and environmental impact assessment (EIA) peer reviews. Support the coordination and implementation of cross regional cooperation initiatives. In line with ADB strategies, policies and sector / thematic operational plans support ETG coordination and cooperation with other Sector Groups (SGs) and Thematic Groups (TGs), and other departments as relevant to the ETG work plan. Support operations departments in ensuring safeguards compliance in projects, and support strengthening and use of country safeguard systems. Work with broad policies and objectives, working directly with clients, with supervision for critical tasks.
Strategy and Planning• Provide technical inputs and support to the preparation of country or sub-regional assessments, including support for country programming to integrate environment and green growth priorities in Country Partnership Strategy/Regional Country Partnership Strategy (CPS), Country Operational Business Plans and other developing member countries (DMCs) country strategy documents. • Provide advice on Environment strategic, technical and operational matters in close collaboration with ETG steering committee, its co-chair, and the wider membership of the ETG, including advice and contributions on new / innovative approaches to strategies, policy and project operational issues.• Provide technical support to the development, management, monitoring/reporting and required updates of environment-related strategic/directional papers including ADB Environment Operational Directions. Provide environment inputs into ADB Strategy 2030 and related documents such as the new ADB result framework (expected in 2018-19).
Operational Advice and Support• Support preparation, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the ETG work plan, including operational and knowledge support, and talent management.• Provide advice and support to operations departments to mainstream environment in country / project and technical assistance (TAs) operations and enhance project quality / environment sustainability, including participation in project teams and peer reviews.• Provide technical inputs into the development of innovation activities and future looking Bank-wide initiatives to help develop future green business opportunities for ADB.• Provide technical support and organize peer review for CPS, sector assessments, and projects and provide advice on project implementation issues to ensure high green impact solutions and environmentally sustainable outcomes.• Work in partnership with other TGs/SGs in order to find collaborative solutions to complex environment development and green growth challenges.• Provide advice and support to operations on safeguards implementation.
Knowledge Generation and Sharing • Develop knowledge products, services, and partnerships to promote environmentally sustainable growth, environment mainstreaming and safeguards implementation in ADB operations.• Support organization and delivery of knowledge sharing/learning events.• Conduct training and capacity building activities for staff, executing agencies of DMCs, and other concerned parties on environmental management and green growth issues.• Support promotion of best practices and knowledge, by bringing in global/regional best practices in environmental management to ADB and promoting ADB’s best practice externally. Identify and develop green growth knowledge in new emerging areas and develop flagship events, studies and publications to produce cutting edge knowledge as the basis for future environment and green growth operations.• Promote innovative and cross-cutting research, as well as the dissemination of technical knowledge and learning on environment topics. • Provide corporate knowledge support, including reporting, briefing papers, speeches, talking points and support to corporate initiatives on environment and green growth.
Environment Thematic Group (ETG) Management• Support ETG members activities and ETG secretariat work to ensure effective implementation of ETG work plan and ETG remain at the forefront of the global and regional debates on environment and green growth issues.• Support effective ETG coordination and cooperation with other SGs and TGs on environment related topics and with other departments and internal stakeholders.• Support technical excellence within ETG by creating an environment of learning and innovation.• Support ETG secretariat activities relating budget and resource allocations of the ETG.
Regional Cooperation and Partnerships• Process and implement regional technical assistance projects to promote regional cooperation and deliver global and regional public goods related to environment.• Manage and selectively establish new global/regional partnerships (donors, UN agencies, private sector, academia, NGOs/ CSOs and other development partners) to enhance ADB and country knowledge and best practices on environment and green growth.• Work with the Office of Cofinancing in influencing the mobilization of external co-financing (grants, investments, and concessional loans) and manage relevant financing partnership facilities promoting investments in environmentally sustainable growth. • Lead collaboration across ADB and with partners drawing on robust professional networks.
Human Resource and Talent Management• Provide leadership and support to reporting staff. • Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance. Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.• Contribute to the recruitment and talent management of environment technical staff across the Bank. • Facilitate (in collaboration with Operations) interdepartmental mobilization of staff resources as required, including identifying projects/programs which require interdepartmental teams.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Regularly shares knowledge on new international best practice trends in comparator situations
- Proactively applies relevant international best practices to own work
- Convinces others to adopt international best practice by explaining the situational relevance and benefits
- Helps colleagues work effectively with clients in different contexts and from diverse backgrounds and country situations
- Adapts own approach and style when interacting with clients, as opposed to requiring them to adapt
- Draws upon international best practice in exploring solutions with clients
- Confirms the clients’ understanding and agreement before progressing
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Draws on own and others’ multi-country experience to identify viable courses of action when conducting analyses
- Helps internal and external clients achieve quality results beyond presenting problems and precedent
- Highlights possible solutions for project issues based on relevant multi-country and/or multi-client experience
- Regularly contributes insights and experiences to colleagues in the Division to help them achieve quality results
- Overcomes unexpected difficulties and challenges to produce desired outcomes
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks the audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution based on lessons and multi-country experience
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Master’s degree in Environmental Management, Environmental Sciences, Natural Resources Management, Environmental Engineering, or other related specialized fields. University degree in Environment Management, Natural Resources Management, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering or other related fields, combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree
Work experience• At least 8 years of relevant experience in environmental policy and management in a professional capacity.• Knowledge of policy and regulatory frameworks for environmental management in DMCs, environmental standards, and good practices.• Good understanding of the environment operations, policies, and procedures of multilateral development and financing institutions in processing and implementation of loans and technical assistance projects.• International experience working in several countries in Asia and the Pacific.
Technical knowledge• Provide application of expertise within a specific environmental area, or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.• Able to filter, generate and share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community including in particular ETG members.• Solid knowledge of standards pertaining to environment quality.
People and leadership skills• Act as a mentor to the more junior team members, providing guidance on projects or processing of loans/technical assistance• Act as a coach to develop capabilities/potential of more junior colleagues• Able to act as a team leader when required with supervision from the SDES Director, the Technical Advisor (Environment) or a more senior team leader.
- Supervisor: Technical Advisor (Environment)
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.