The position is responsible for implementations of rehabilitation and construction activities for all WASH systems – including water systems, sanitation facilities and hygiene promotion. This includes all elements of planning, management, staff direction, budget management, control and successful execution.
- Ensure that all water and sanitation activities are in line with project strategy and design
- Ensure that the emergency water, sanitation, hygiene and distribution activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner (SPHERE, IRC) and in line with beneficiary needs.
- Assist and input into the EH Emergency strategy, Maintain close links and collaboration with other sectors and in particular Health, Protection, Gender, WPE and ERD.
- Ensure that all hygiene promotion, distribution and monitoring activities are in line with project strategy and design
- Participate in any inter sectorial assessment process, including analysis and planning;
- Input into the development of EH Project Strategy
- Provide direct technical support to the EH Water, Sanitation, Hygiene Promotion, Distribution and Monitoring teams in accordance with best practice and IRC policy.
- Ensure that water, sanitation, hygiene promotion and distribution activities meet stated objectives within the timeframe;
- Ensure IRC EH programs demonstrate adherence to international and national standards, including Sphere and others;
- Ensure program activities foster accountability to beneficiaries, gender and protection sensitivity and inclusion are adequately addressed in programming;
- Propose technical designs for all water and sanitation activities
- Provide technical support and training for project staff.
- Provide regular reports, document results and maintain detailed records.
Staff Supervision & Development
- Given the scale of the emergency program the post holder will directly manage the EH Officer(s) for Safe Water and Emergency Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion and Distribution and Monitoring.
- Support the senior/EH Coordinator with assessing staffing requirements against the size and scale of the emergency.
- Participate in recruitment of staff in the approved EH organogram
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, performance, and objectives on an informal, quarterly basis with designated staff.
- Responsible for EH Officers’ timesheets, work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities.
- Ensuring that the EH Officers collect Technicians’ and assistants’ timesheets, vacations and progress with work plans
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures
Grant Planning & Implementation
- Assist the senior/EH coordinator draft technical proposals and budgets to enable programs to meet the immediate needs of the affected community.
- May have some budget authority to pre-approved limits and responsibility for budget development and compliance.
- Responsible for ensuring the achievement the specific Environmental Health grant timeline and completion date in designated area of project/activities
- Provides direction and monitors staff in their implementation of the work plan and quality of technical activities.
Donor Monitoring & Reporting
- Fully responsible for field monitoring of all Environmental Health activities making recommendations for modifications of activities as required.
- Lead on monitoring Environmental Health activities and spend in line with donor grants.
- Participate in timely donor reports.
Coordination & Representation
- Maintains effective coordination and networking with internal as well as external stakeholders,
- Works closely and coordinates with IRC supply chain and finance staff to ensure timely and complaint program activities and expenditures;
- When requested, represents IRC in external WASH forums
- Contributes to the development of EH emergency strategy direction and plans.
- Participates in sector specific strategy development and technical proposal design
- Degree level qualification in Civil Engineering or Environmental Sciences; relevant experience will supersede the formal qualification
- 3 to 5 years of experience in leading/managing WASH or Environmental Health programs with INGOs;
- Excellent understanding of EH issues in emergency situations and knowledge of emergency standards (Sphere)
- Strong management, planning, analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Ability to live and work in stressful and insecure environment;
- Able to manage multiple tasks.
- Able to work under pressure and good at timely decision making.
- Fluency in English and/or (other languages)
- Competent in Microsoft Office, Word and Excel
- Knowledge and/or experience in conflict management, protection, or other related field;
- Excellent professional approach and strong team building skills
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. Please contact Talent Acquisitions at [email protected]. As required by law, the IRC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with a known disability.