Impact Water is a for-profit, social enterprise dedicated to providing safe drinking water solutions at scale. We sell high-performing water purification systems to social institutions (like schools, hospitals and health clinics) and workplaces, often with multiyear financing so that providing safe, great tasting drinking water to students, patients and employees is easier than ever. We’re the first drinking water solutions company to allow schools to time their installment payments with the receipt of schools fees. We’re also the first to provide a 2-year preventive maintenance program included in every installation.
In just over two years, we have sold and installed water purification systems in over 1,300 schools, benefiting over 650,000 students. We’re expanding rapidly with the opening of a new country office in Nigeria this past November and a soft-opening for Kenya this past February. In the next two years, we plan to add another 8,000+ schools. We are a global Kiva partner, a Yunus Social Business Investee, and the recent winner of the Best Business Act for Billion Acts of Peace.
Impact Water seeks an experienced, successful and entrepreneurial business leader to launch, lead and manage our operations in Kenya, with steady focus on growing the business and increasing profitability for the company. This person must enjoy a client-facing role and offer proven leadership and management skills in entrepreneurial contexts.
The Country Director (CD) will be responsible for developing and executing national business strategy, as well as all financial, administrative and operational management. S/he will be the face of Impact Water in Kenya and will oversee the activities of all locally-based staff, focusing in particular on the promotion of operational excellence and continuous improvement initiatives. Sound financial management and a steadfast commitment to our zero-fraud tolerance policy will be key elements to the success of the CD.
The CD will be an ambitious, adaptable and collaborative people leader with an eye for detail, a hands-on approach and an interest in troubleshooting, combined with a passion for delivering business growth, making an impact and strengthening the position of Impact Water as the top provider of drinking water solutions for schools in Kenya. S/he will be required to succeed in both formal and informal environments and to deal with a range of clients and stakeholders with a variety of cultural backgrounds in urban and rural settings alike.
This position offers a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing, global social business with potential for promotion, over time, to an expanded role including global, regional and/or new country leadership assignments. The CD will join the existing global leadership team, and have an important voice from day one.
Reporting and Relationships
The CD will report to Impact Water’s Managing Director based in Lusaka. The CD will directly supervise functional leaders across Impact Water Kenya (sales, operations, customer service, M&E, finance & admin) and be fully responsible and accountable for the country office performance. Further, the CD will benefit from a full-time Impact Water Consultant (former Uganda CD), who is currently on the ground in Nairobi and will remain until end of July and whose scope is to: serve as Acting CD until this position is filled; train, orient and support the new CD as needed/desired; and develop bulk sale opportunities and public-private partnerships.
Location and Travel Requirements
The CD will be based in Nairobi and be responsible for selecting the location of the new country office. Frequent domestic travel will be expected, 6-8 weeks per year, and some international travel.
- Lead and manage all Kenya operations, assuming full profit and loss (P&L) responsibility
- Develop and execute responsive and appropriate operations management systems (procurement, inventory, installations, maintenance and repair, customer service, impact measurement)
- Define department and team-level goals, ensuring full attainment with significant hands-on involvement
- Manage country staff of 20-30 members (hiring will take place over the course of the next 12-18 months), including 4-6 direct reports; hire, train and terminate workers as needed
- Represent the company to a diverse group of clients and stakeholders, including business partners and clients, schools, health facilities, NGOs, and various levels of government
- Cultivate an entrepreneurial culture that develops and implements ideas in support of innovation and scale
- Produce satisfactory business performance reports (monthly, quarterly and annual)
Experience and Skills Required
- Master’s Degree in business administration or a related field from a top academic institution or equivalent experience
- Extensive and proven team-building, general management and business development experience in challenging environments
- Financial management experience, including internal controls and accountability
- P&L management experience and a track record in growing top and bottom lines in a comparable environment
- Strong leadership, management, analytical, mentorship and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal, cross-cultural, active listening, writing and presentation skills
- Excellent intellectual credentials combined with strong emotional intelligence skills
- Demonstrable professional growth potential and ability to assume greater levels of responsibility over time
- Intention to lead and grow Impact Water’s Kenya business for many years
- English proficiency with 100% fluency; additional language skills (e.g. Swahili) are welcomed
- Experience in the social enterprise sector in Sub-Saharan Africa is preferred
- Background in a competitive environment within the private sector is highly desirable
- High levels of integrity are fundamental
How To Apply
To apply you should:
- Submit a full CV and a cover letter, clearly evidencing your relevant experience to [email protected]
- Include details of current salary and rewards package
- The deadline to apply for this position is Wednesday, May 10, 2017 but candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Level of Language Proficiency
English proficiency with 100% fluency; additional language skills (e.g. Swahili) are welcomed