The Associate applies specialized technical knowledge in support of project delivery for the Mexico country program, under the supervision of the Country Representative and in partnership with GGGI’s Investment and Policy Solutions Division in Seoul. The Associate, under supervision of his/her manager, provides day to day technical support, internally as well as to relevant government counterpart. The position carries out analytical work related to his/her technical expertise and provides a wide range of contributions in support of delivery of components/workstreams in the country program.
The Associate also supports the Country Representative in miscellaneous activities, such as reporting, organizing knowledge sharing events, preparing communications briefings, etc.
GGGI has been working with the Mexican government since early 2013 in the evaluation, development and implementation of public policies that promote a green growth model. This collaboration has involved both providing technical assistance to specific projects and supporting knowledge exchange activities among countries in the region, as described below.
Implementation and National Planning Green Growth
During 2013 GGGI supported the National Institute of Ecology and Climate Change (INECC) in the development of technical inputs for the National Climate Change Strategy (ENCC) and the Special Climate Change Program (PECC). These documents were published in the Official Gazette.
Subnational Green Growth Planning and Implementation
GGGI is working with state governments on the:
- Development of policies and financial structures that support the transformation of the public transport fleet.
- Evaluation of public policy instruments to improve urban mobility, with an emphasis on public transport.
- Evaluation of alternatives to improve the management of air quality, including improved monitoring networks, vehicle inspection systems and the determination of environmental contingencies.
- Evaluation of economic instruments to promote the use of public transport and the use of cleaner and more efficient vehicles, including the establishment of low-emission zones, green license plates, green vehicle taxes, and fees on fuel consumption.
Climate Technology Innovation
Mexico has set ambitious goals for reducing emissions of greenhouse gases and using renewable energy. To achieve sustainable economic growth, it is imperative that Mexico strengthen its capacity for development, manufacturing and deployment of clean energy and other green technologies and reduce its dependence on the import of such technologies and knowledge. This will allow Mexico to comply with the commitments in their INDC’s and renewable penetration goals, while creating economic opportunities and generate green jobs.
GGGI has prepared a series of documents and recommendations for improving the conditions for innovation and technology deployment, including:
- Assess the innovation ecosystem in climate technologies and issue recommendations for improvement
- Identify technologies with the greatest potential for GHG mitigation and generating economic opportunities for the country
- Assess in greater detail a priority technology (solar PV) that demonstrates the application of the methodology of analysis and generation of recommendations
- Establish a strategic framework for policy development and investment recommendations on technology innovations that catalyze green growth
State of Sonora Green Growth Strategy
GGGI is supporting the State of Sonora in the development of the state´s green growth strategy. To our knowledge, this is the first state-level green growth strategy in the country. The strategy will set out a long-term-vision, strategic objectives and prioritized initiatives, and GGGI will support the state in the implementation of such inititatives.
Knowledge sharing (South-South cooperation)
Jointly with the Mexican Government, GGGI has supported the development of two regional workshops in Mexico. These workshops have been attended by countries from Central and South America Grouped in the Mesoamerican Sustainability Strategy (EMSA) and the Pacific Alliance, as well as presenters from developed countries, and were aimed at exchanging experiences in lessons learned. The two workshops were:
- Forum on Technologies for Mitigation and Adaptation to Climate Change
- Green Cities: Achieving Growth through Green Management Climate Change and Air Quality
- Conducts rigorous technical analytical work in support of project output delivery.
- Leads a specific workstream or portion of a larger project, under guidance of his/her manager, and in close coordination with other team members
- Review consultants´ work and provide recommendations for improvement
- Reviews project components, develops project resource profiles and timelines. Monitors project implementation through site visits, identifying operational issues with solutions as relevant
- Support country level communications and outreach campaigns for the program
- Support resource mobilization efforts
- Collate and review data related to Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) metrics ensuring quality of information and conformity with established M&E procedures and formats and report to GGGI HQ
- Works closely with national counterparts to build cooperative relationships and establish the organization as an effective partner.
- Apply sufficient technical skills to acquire relevant information/knowledge from a variety of sources which are often difficult to access, in support of delivery of a good quality output
- Understand project methodologies and is able to provide a wide range of contributions in support of delivery of components/workstreams in the country program
- Leads the monitoring and updating of project compliance information
- The position understands the project cycle and is able to organize his/her analytical work to ensure that deliverables are provided in a timely manner to support subsequent work and consistent with the workplan and project cycle
- Manage individual consultants and/or small consultancy projects
- Assesses delivery issues and works with national counterparts to build common understanding and coordination on project activities
- Prepare communications materials (media releases, website content etc.) to a high quality
- The post holder will report to the Mexico Country Manager, with travel to project sites and GGGI HQ as required
- Minimum seven years of professional experience in relevant disciplines
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant field, such as public administration, development economics, environmental economics, environmental science and technology, development studies, engineering, etc.
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills, alongside strong synthesis and strategic thinking skills
- Experience in one of the four thematic areas of GGGI – energy, green cities (including urban mobility), water and/or land use.
- Project delivery experience, including managing the delivery of results on time and on budget
- Work experience in Mexico with a highly regarded private sector company (consulting or industry), international organization, government or not-for-profit organization.
- Candidate must be fully bilingual in Spanish and English
- Strong analytical skills, alongside strong reporting writing skills
- Team work and creative problem solving abilities
- Excellent multi-cultural literacy and interest in being a part of an international team working in an evolving and entrepreneurial environment
- Strong stakeholder engagement and communication skills
- Proven experience leading or supporting project delivery, i.e. managing/supporting the delivery of results on time and on budget
- Experience working with developing countries within the climate change / green growth sector
- Experience working in Mexico and/or Latin America a must
- Understand and actively supports GGGI’s mission, vision and values
- Promote an organizational culture of trust, transparency, respect and partnership
- Process and share information easily and excellent at problem solving
- Manage emotions and stress positively, builds rapport and resolves conflict easily
- Promote creativity and innovation among staff