In 2015, major earthquakes struck Nepal and affected lives and livelihoods of an estimated 8 million people spread across 57 districts in the West and Central regions of Nepal. American Red Cross (ARC) in partnership with Nepal Red Cross Society and in collaboration with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) launched a relief and recovery program after the devastating earthquakes.
Currently, IFRC/ARC is supporting the Nepal Earthquake Recovery Program (Utthan). The 3-year Utthan program is being implemented in 19 VDCs and 1 municipality of Nuwakot, Rasuwa and Makwanpur districts. The overall goal of the program is to contribute to the sustainable recovery of the most vulnerable earthquake-affected households in Nepal and develop safer, more resilient communities. The program has five major sectors: Shelter, WASH, Livelihood, Health and Organizational Development.
There are 18 water schemes planned under Utthan for the 2017 fiscal year along with construction of 2,040 toilets. The delegation has a WASH Officer to oversee the implementation. Considering the time frame, the number of schemes planned and the challenging terrain of program areas, strong support is needed to complete the planned WASH activities. The delegation therefore, requires an International WASH Consultant who can support Nepal Red Cross for the implementation of WASH activities.
The WASH Consultant will be based in Kathmandu, Nepal, with frequent travel to program implementation sites in earthquake-affected areas. He or she will report directly to the Head of Programs in the American Red Cross Nepal delegation and work closely with NRCS and ARC WASH Officers. S/He will support in design and implementation of accessible WASH schemes in schools and communities together with NRCS/ARC technical staff.
• Support completion of 15 drinking water schemes by the end of the consultancy period.
• Support completion of least 450 toilets construction in Nuwakot, Rasuwa and Makwanpur districts
• Provide support during the WASH scheme implementation to ensure quality (construction quality, accessible infrastructure, sustainability parameters for WUSC etc.) as per design.
• Provide capacity building support to NRCS District WASH team to implement WASH scheme, toilet construction and hygiene promotion
• Ensure completion of training of VMW training in WASH projects in Makawanpur and Nuwakot district.
• Assess issues and gaps in total WASH and provide recommendations as necessary.
• Innovate and document environment friendly and new approaches on WASH
• Prepare a status report of WASH and toilet schemes of Rasuwa, Nuwakot and Makwanpur districts after each visit.
The proposal should include the following three items. Please note that any proposal which does not contain all three items will be rejected.
One-page Summary of Experience
Consultancy Amount: please mention the proposed Consultancy rate in USD including consultancy fee, DSA and Travel Costs if applicable.
The Summary of experience should be no more than one page.
Send all application materials to the following email address to: [email protected]; mark copy to [email protected] with a subject line “IFRC/ARC Nepal WASH Consultant – International”. Incomplete applications and applications sent after the deadline will not be accepted.
Deadline for Applications
11th May, 2017, 05:00PM Nepal time
The detailed Terms of Reference can be downloaded in the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vyaoyy4qfkd8go4/Terms%20of%20Reference%20for%20WASH%20Consultant%20-%20Int…