The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. FAO’s mission is to work with the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran to help build a food-secure country, free of hunger and malnutrition, where food and agriculture contribute to improving the living standards of all, especially the poorest, in an economically, socially and environmentally sustainable manner. The Organization’s activities in Iran are fully integrated with the national priorities outlined in the national development plan and strategies of the country.
The FAO Representation in Iran is responsible for leading the administration and coordination of the implementation of the project with the technical and operational support of the FAO-RNE and HQ. The arrangements with respect to provision of administrative and operational support to the project at the various stages of project implementation, specifying responsibilities and reporting lines are stipulated in the project document.
The funding of the programme/project “GCP/IRA/066/JPN – Integrated Programme for Sustainable Water Resources Management in the Urmia Lake Basin” was approved by the Government of Japan in March 2016 and will be implemented by FAO. The overall goal of the projects is to contribute to more sustainable, productive and climate change resilient agricultural and rural systems with a positive impact on the environment in general and on the water balance (inflow-outflow) of the Urmia Lake
The Chief Technical Advisor reports to the FAO Representative (FAOR) and in collaboration with the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) and the relevant Divisions at FAO Headquarters. He/she liaises with the national team of the project including Urmia Lake Restoration Programme (ULRP), the Ministry of Jihad-e-Agriculture, the Ministry of Energy, the Department of Environment, relevant FAO technical and support staff and consultants as well as partners.
- Socio-economic and entrepreneurial activities in the agricultural sector and sub-sectors (farm communities level);
- Water accounting;
- Sustainable land and water management practices.
Leadership and technical expertise for the identification, formulation, planning, development and implementation of Project
• Leads the development, implementation and evaluation on technical issues of assigned programmes/projects; directs review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programmes and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Directs substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Manages outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars, makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Provides advice to develop policies and strategies as well as national protocols and guide lines for projects with specific domains related to FAO’s work.
• Provides strategic direction to the partners for the effective implementation of the project and achievement of its objectives;
• Ensures that the project has sharp focus on outcome as envisaged in Project Document;
• Coordinates and manages the delivery of the technical outputs and activities of the project;
• Leads the capacity building and skill development of the ULRP project team and stakeholders including local community groups in the selected villages/ project sites;
• Leads the preparation and review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions;
• Develops the detailed implementation plan including the modality of implementation and the funds required; manages operations and activities and amends the plan as deemed necessary;
• Plans and oversees the provision of all FAO inputs, including provision of specifications, organization and assistance along the process for the purchase of equipment and supplies, and arranging for their maintenance;
• Engages in stakeholders consultation, including at community level;
• Prepares business plans on new/alternative economic and entrepreneurial activities;
• Prepares progress reports during the project life and a terminal end of project report as well as an end of assignment report;
• Performs other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in political sciences, agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), social sciences or related fields;
• Ten years of relevant experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential.
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes and/or providing technical support and advice on institutional capacity building processes.
• Extent and relevance of experience in establishing and maintaining partnerships with UN agencies, NGOs as well as donors and government institutions and agencies