Provide technical advice and support to management and project staff, delivers training and ensures quality programming. This involves developing, leading, monitoring and evaluating technical aspects of the country programme activities in the area of WASH. The role includes coordinating and networking at a senior level with national and regional authorities, clusters and other NGOs, providing capacity building for national and international staff.
Medair Afghanistan is a complex and dynamic country programme due to instability related to politics and security. Medair has been operating in Afghanistan since 1996, is currently functioning in a decentralized model and implementing multi-sectoral projects in nutrition, WASH and food security in vulnerable communities in the Central Highlands and Southern Afghanistan. There are plans to expand the current programme into new areas and potentially new sectors, as well as strengthening local partnerships.
Field based position, Afghanistan. Take a look at Medair’s work in Afghanistan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
May 2017. Full time, 12-24 months contract.
Key Activity Areas
WASH Project Management
- Maintain an overview of the country WASH programmes and of the regional context, with a view to strategically developing new projects in current sites and in surrounding regions.
- Give technical advice to field managers and HQ on potential involvement in new WASH interventions and internal WASH capacity for implementation.
- Provide technical support to the WASH teams, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects and the writing of donor proposals and reports within the required timeframes.
- Assist with the development of reporting systems for data collection. Including monitoring, analysis and follow-up and feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
- Represent Medair at coordination, sector and bilateral meetings, working groups, with national and local government departments and any other relevant meetings, facilitating supportive synergies and overall progress in the WASH sector and avoiding duplication with the work of other agencies.
- Be involved in the recruitment of WASH staff for the country programme, providing advice on technical skills and experience as requested.
- Ensure that all WASH staff are adequately trained and create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching, within budget constraints. Plan and develop training material as required.
- Work with the Projects Coordinator and relevant field managers and HQ staff to plan and construct WASH budgets.
- Ensure WASH projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc. Follow the direction of the WASH Advisor at HQ regarding quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of WASH programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- BSc in Water / Environmental Engineering or Management or Civil Engineering or Hydrology / Geology.
- Postgraduate degree in relevant subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
- 2 year overseas experience in relief work with an NGO managing and coordinating WASH projects, preferably in an emergency context.
- Programme development and monitoring and evaluation skills and experience.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills. Excellent proposal and report writing skills.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and protection issues.
- Excellent proposal and report writing skills, including ability to develop and report on log-frames and knowledge of indicators and impact.
- Excellent negotiation / advocacy skills within varying cultural and professional contexts.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips.
- This is a field-based position in a complex environment with limited international staff present.
- It will be required to follow local cultural norms (including behaviour and at times clothing).
- Living conditions are basic but comfortable, but may be different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
Then please fill out your application for this position via the apply buttons on this page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.