Job Number: 503404 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Consultancy
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
Though District engineers normally assist in the supervision of works in their Assemblies, they seem to have several responsibilities and so are not able to dedicate the time required for these activities. A consultant is therefore required to guarantee that quality of works and construction processes is in accordance with specifications and in accordance with the national standards and guidelines for WASH in school services.
The consultant will need to visit the sites daily and provide needed technical advice to the field agents of NGOs as well as providing reports through respective WASH Officers to the Chief of WASH.
Review and make input into weekly work plans prepared by contractors and NGO, aimed at facilitating timely completion of all work packages. (The consultant will be provided a list of selected schools).
- Ensure that new technology options such as digester system by WASHking or others that will be promoted in due course, meet pre-agreed standards.
- Visit supported schools prior to procurement of WASH constructions in order to scope required works and possible constraints.
- Undertake daily site visits aimed at ensuring that WASH construction is being carried out according to relevant building specifications and standards, as well as requirements in the PCAs
- Provide recommendations and technical support to NGOs and contractors with respect to construction processes and management.
- Check the quality of materials used by NGOs and contractors to ensure that they meet the relevant quality standards.
- Provide technical support to the NGO and the trained artisans, for construction of latrines in households, detailing recommendations made
- Assess works undertaken by construction partners and confirm progress of construction to facilitate payments (updating monthly monitoring database of WinS implementation).
Prompt NGO to organize monthly progress/ site meetings, and take the minutes of such meetings on behalf of UNICEF
- Prepare and submit a tabulated progress update on each school and community project every week
- Support and coordinate with D.As and D.E.Os to ensure that works meet national minimum standards for WASH in schools as well as relevant environmental sanitation guidelines.
- Actively participate and provide technical support in preparing and organizing the Sanitation fair in Ashaiman
- Inception work plan and activity schedule for assignment
- Documentation on the designs, costs and appropriateness of treatment options for Ashaiman (including on-going initiatives by other partners within Ashaiman Municipality).
- Detailed bi-weekly progress/output reports on work done to UNICEF with recommendation on the way forward with respect to implementation.
- A monthly summary of the weekly update on progress of works to UNICEF including minutes of all site/progress meetings and stakeholder consultations (including recommendations made) for consideration and adoption by NGO
- Update of the monthly database of activities for WASH in Schools in areas of operation
- A final report of activities, procedures and any variations adopted.
- Sanitation fair organized.
- Programme Monitoring Visit reports as pre-agreed with UNICEF
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- First Degree in Civil Engineering/Building Technology/Construction Management and related courses. Higher National Diploma with additional 3 years of relevant work experience may be considered
Years of relevant experience
- Five years progressive experience in construction projects management and supervision. Experience in project management for water supply and sanitation construction is an added asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Experience working at Municipal/District level will be an advantage. Affiliation with Ghana Institution of Engineers or other recognizable professional institutions will also be an advantage
- Fluency in English language with excellent writing and communication skills.
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite is required for this assignment
- Effective teamwork skills and experience with competence for assertiveness.
- Strong drive for results
- Effective planning, monitoring, coordination and supervision skills
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Interested applicants are requested to include a 3-page write up of their approach to achieve the objective of this assignment within given time frame. Please indicate your ability, availability and monthly rate (in GHS) to undertake the terms of reference above . Applications submitted without the 3-page write up and a monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date Tue Apr 18 2017 10:00:00 GMT+0200 (SAST) GMT Daylight Time
Closing Date Wed May 03 2017 00:55:00 GMT+0200 (SAST)