¿Te gusta la ciencia? Are you actively following conversations around #marginsci and #scicomm? Are you a self-professed geek spreading all your latest discoveries across the internet through Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram in English and Spanish? Here’s your chance to put that love of science and social media to work to help stop global warming, support sustainable agriculture, and protect the planet.
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet’s most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for stemming the tide of global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.
Under direction of the online engagement manager, conceptualize and implement social media strategies and tactics to maximize visibility for UCS, our issues, and products, engage current and potential supporters in our campaigns, cultivate social media influencers, grow our social media followers, and contribute to campaign impact. The social media coordinator will manage the organization’s social media accounts posting primarily in English with a small (though increasing) portion in Spanish.
- Implement the organization’s social media strategies and tactics.
- Manage organizational social media accounts by engaging UCS supporters across various social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, G+, LinkedIn, and new platforms as identified. Write, edit, design, and publish content on social media platforms. Monitor and moderate comments and conversations.
- Working with online engagement manager, develop and maintain the organizational social media calendar.
- Respond to member questions and concerns through social media, coordinating with communications, development and program teams. Regularly report back relevant issues, member concerns, and trends in the community.
- Train new staff in social media platforms and monitoring tools, maintain written instructions for staff reference, and monitor staff usage of social media, making recommendations for improvements when necessary.
- Member of the team responsible for implementing Spanish language communications strategy, translates key pieces of content, create original Spanish content.
- Coordinating with web, engagement, and development teams, create and implement opportunities for people to share their activities on social media through share links on UCS webpages, action alerts, and fundraising campaigns.
- Collaborates with communications and program colleagues to develop Spanish language content for multiple social media channels.
- Cultivate top social media users and influencers through one-on-one outreach and engagement.
- Working with the data analyst, ensure all shares and links are set up for maximum trackability, monitor social media results, and recommend changes in strategy based on results of analysis.
- Keep up-to-date on the latest trends and best practices in social media and recommend changes or additions to strategy when needed.
- Assist in running the organization’s email outreach and online advocacy program, editing messages and alerts, setting up outgoing email communications and online action alerts and surveys, reviewing messages and web content, editing and publishing pages, and launching messages when needed.
- Maintain understanding of UCS issues and positions.
- Maintain awareness of role as representative of UCS; consider impact of activities on organization’s reputation and credentials in public and private sectors; direct energies whenever possible to promote UCS; advance organization’s objectives; and enhance credibility.
Qualifications and Experience
Candidate must be bilingual and have excellent writing and editing skills in both English and Spanish and capacity to manage multiple projects and deadlines with ease. Must have a track record of developing effective social media campaigns and strong knowledge of social media best practices. Outstanding attention to detail, creativity, and ability to work well in a team environment and independently is essential. Knowledge of HTML and experience working in a content management and constituent relationship management systems, as well as design software a plus. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required. We are looking for a self-starter who is excited to come up with new ideas and figure out how to run with them.
Position requires minimum of three to five years of comparable and relevant online organizing / social media experience in a political or advocacy campaign setting. Strong copywriting and editing experience required. Proven ability to engage online constituents and grow online supporter lists.
May spend extended periods at computer terminal, with limited travel (only a couple times a year).
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We’ve adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $47,500. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and how you learned about the position via email to [email protected] and include “Social Media Coordinator” in the subject line. Email materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please. Deadline: May 12, 2017 or until filled.