Duties and Responsibilities
The Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning, and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the Region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. RAP also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities in the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the Region, monitors the institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the Region.
The Senior Resilience Officer reports to the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative (ADG/RR) RNE and works under the technical guidance of the Director, Emergency and Rehabilitation Division, TCE.
Programme development, coordination and implementation of FAO’s resilience agenda at regional level.
Effective and efficient coordination and technical guidance to the regional programme and project activities, as well as the development of a strategic programme on resilience and disaster risk reduction for the Near East and North Africa.
- Plans, manages, or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary regional teams, and provides technical leadership in high-level policy analysis, policy networks and/or international policy setting bodies;
- Analyses global and country specific requirements and relevant technical issues to provide critical input into the FAO Strategic Objectives, Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies;
- Implements and monitors related programmes of work including the development of the approach, evidence based strategies, and related tools, methodologies and the supporting system/database, monitoring and reporting frameworks;
- Conducts, designs and oversees research and analysis activities to support the development of standards, international instruments, innovation, technical reports, publications and/or on-going programme development as well as the provision of technical and/or policy advisory services;
- Provides technical and policy advice to Member Countries and technical support to decentralized offices in the development and implementation of their programmes;
- Leads and/or collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning, on-line tools;
- Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders;
- Leads and/or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- Coordinates the work of RNE on resilience and disaster risk reduction and provides overall technical guidance to the implementation of FAO’s strategic objective on ‘Resilience to Shocks and Crises’ within the regions;
- Provides technical leadership on behalf of RNE to the formulation and implementation of projects and programmes related to FAO’s resilience agenda, including disaster risk reduction, food chain treats and protracted crises;
- Contributes to the development or adaptation of region specific normative products and public goods and services that facilitate the implementation of resilience field projects in RNE region;
- Provides conceptual and technical advice to member countries and FAO country offices in the fields of resilience building, disaster risk reduction and emergencies.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
Remuneration: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, visit the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC) website: http://icsc.un.org/rootindex.asp
FAO is a non-smoking environment
|How To Apply|
Click on Apply Now to submit your application. If you have not yet registered, please follow the instructions to register, complete your account and submit your application.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
Before applying, please ensure that you have completed all sections of your account. Incomplete applications will not be evaluated.