WaterNow Alliance (WNA) is a network of water utility leaders dedicated to expanding sustainable water solutions in their communities. The Alliance focuses on innovative strategies to accelerate adoption of reuse and efficiency technologies, green infrastructure, watershed health, stormwater recapture and groundwater management. Our mission is to achieve high impact, widespread adoption of sustainable water solutions in communities compatible with a healthy environment for the future. Our work to achieve this objective falls broadly into three areas: (1) serving as a key resource for water leaders through regular convenings, workshops and other opportunities for connection and collaboration; (2) developing and advocating for policies that eliminate barriers to sustainable water strategies locally; and (3) place-based projects in local municipalities to grow a portfolio of successes that can be scaled and replicated.
Reporting to Executive Director (ED), the Director of Team Operations will serve as a key leadership team member and an active participant in strategic planning, mission execution and fundraising. The DTO is responsible for working across the entire team, helping to establish the roadmaps, performance/deliverable targets, performance metrics necessary to successfully accomplish WNA’s strategy and continue to grow. The DTO will also energize and motivate the team to efficiently and effectively generate high-quality outcomes, identify core team needs and seek ways to grow team capacity, and build an internal infrastructure to support long-term growth and attract sustained financial support. The DTO will work with the ED to ensure that WNA’s initiatives and workplans are structured and fit into a coherent, cohesive and well-orchestrated narrative. In partnership with the ED, the DTO will share responsibility for strategic and fiscal planning, internal operations, and fundraising.
Specific Job Duties/Responsibilities/Accountabilities
· Develop effective internal WNA operational strategies, while leading an achievement-oriented team to drive successful outcomes, including:
o Facilitating and strengthening WNA’s effectiveness and cohesiveness as a team
o Bolstering WNA’s organizational infrastructure to enable WNA to continue to grow and fulfill its mission, including –
§ Performance metrics
§ Internal communication
· Work with team members to create annual workplans and metrics for success that are evaluated regularly and tied directly to the achievement of WNA objectives for the year
· Develop performance indicators and methodologies to reach goals, monitor organizational performance; development of the team to maximize skills and grow capabilities
· Promote an organizational culture that fosters passion for WNA’s mission, cooperation, open and frequent communication, and teamwork.
· In partnership with the ED, jointly oversee staff relations including:
o Organizing recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of new employees
o Conducting annual performance reviews and being accessible for staff check-ins
o Addressing any emerging workplace issues before they become problems
· Manage procurement and contracting processes with vendors and other consultants
· Work to ensure the sound financial management and fiscal health of the organization, ensuring that our financial performance is in line with WNA grant deliverables and budgets
· Coordinate annual operations plan and budget and fundraising requirements; ensure planning and allocation of staff to achieve WNA deliverables and overall strategic planning goals
· Work with ED to build a consistent revenue stream and continued sustainable growth.
· Work with ED to ensure resources are aligned with strategic priorities
· Provide key support to ED with fundraising and development including but not limited to drafting foundation proposals and progress reports
WNA is seeking a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and natural operational leader with experience scaling an organization, leading an entrepreneurial team, and developing an inspired culture. The ideal WNA CTO is a leader able to support the entire team but also appreciate and recognize the individuals who make up the team and who all share the common goal to deliver results that make the organization’s vision a reality. The ideal candidate has the skills, sensitivity, and confidence to tap into the power that each member of the team brings to this mission. He or she will bring efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization, and will be dedicated to the WNA mission. Qualifications include:
(1) BA/BS degree
(2) 15 years of professional experience with a minimum of five years of senior management experience that includes supervising a diverse group of staff.
(3) Proven experience in organization leadership and a demonstrated ability to lead and build the capabilities of a team.
(4) Skills should include organizational development, personnel management, strategic planning; demonstrated success developing and monitoring systems to manage both operational and programmatic work involving high levels of collaboration.
(5) Results—proven track record of exceeding goals, evidence of ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment.
(6) Strategic Vision and Agility—ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
(7) Capacity Building—ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top- notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly
(8) Leadership and Organization—exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups; develop and empower top- notch leaders across all levels of an organization, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team to put people in a position to succeed
(9) Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; flexible, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary Demonstrated success with growing an organization or program while leading a team to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact.
(10) Proficiency in Microsoft Office software, Salesforce, Google platform for work.
(11) Commitment to WNA mission and approach; demonstrated interest in working in a not-for-profit environment
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a compelling cover letter and resume that describes your interest in this position, your relevant qualifications and experience, your availability and your salary requirements (please don’t just say “negotiable”). Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Applications can be sent to [email protected]. We’re a small team and we politely request no follow-up calls or emails.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.