San Francisco Baykeeper seeks an organized, dedicated, and passionate environmental advocate to play an essential role in our fundraising program as the Development Associate.
The Development Associate supports all fundraising and relationship development with individual and corporate contacts; helps plan and execute Baykeeper’s fundraising and outreach events, including the Bay Parade (our annual on-the-water recreation festival); and ensures both seamless operations internally as well as excellent interactions with Baykeeper supporters and event participants.
This position offers an outstanding opportunity to develop core skills in nonprofit fundraising, operations, and event management. The Development Associate reports to the Development Director and works closely as a team with the Development Director, Communications Associate, Staff Writer, and Executive Director to advance Baykeeper’s mission to protect SF Bay and build strong external relationships.
The Development Associate position is essential to the success of San Francisco Baykeeper’s fundraising programs. The Development Associate will:
- Assist in developing and executing fundraising strategies such as identifying appropriate communications for different audiences; helping plan and execute interactions with key donor audiences; and researching new potential supporters.
- Manage Baykeeper’s donor database and internal practices to ensure thorough and accurate data capture, and implement database or data practice improvements whenever possible. Process donations and produce timely acknowledgements for contributions from a wide range of sources and audiences.
- Plan and execute Baykeeper events, including overseeing all event logistics, online systems, sponsorship development, participant registration, and participant fundraising, for events including the Baykeeper Dinner, Bay Parade, Water Forum, and other smaller events.
- Coordinate and oversee, with appropriate staff and vendors, all mailings to supporters, including audience segmentation, mailing lists, print production, and online systems.
- Recruit, train, and manage department volunteers, including seasonal interns.
- Manage some operational tasks including answering phones.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- 2-3 years direct experience managing projects in a fast-paced, professional environment; experience in a development office is strongly preferred.
- Experience managing contact and contribution (or comparable) records in CiviCRM (or comparable system such as SalesForce or Raiser’s Edge), and a dedication to ensuring complete accuracy in donor and event records.
- Experience coordinating event logistics, and a willingness to manage tasks small to large to ensure the highest quality events.
- Experience engaging and supporting external stakeholder audiences like donors, sponsors, event participants, and volunteers.
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Excel.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and strategically plan short- and long-term goals.
- A collaborative and team-oriented nature.
- Basic skills in Drupal (or comparable) content management system and Adobe design software.
- Experience in nonprofit fundraising will be highly valued.
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental protection preferable.
- Availability to work extended hours for events on evenings and weekends.
The physical demands of the tasks described here include utilizing computer, phone, and copying equipment, participating in public events, occasional travel, and visual design work. This position also requires the ability to lift and handle event supplies and equipment. These demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baykeeper provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to everyone. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities.
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
This is a full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Development Director. The starting salary for this position is $22.11 per hour (or $46,000 per year, assuming a typical 40-hour work week). Baykeeper places the highest value on its employees and employee retention, and is committed to continuously building on our collaborative and flexible workplace environment. We value professional development, a healthy work-life balance, and offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, which currently includes comprehensive medical and dental coverage for eligible employees, an employer 401(k) contribution following one year of employment, options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs, and generous paid time off.
If you are interested in and qualified for this position, please send your résumé and a cover letter to [email protected], subject line “[YOUR LAST NAME], Development Associate.” If your materials indicate a potential match to our requirements, we will contact you. Please, no phone calls or emails to the office regarding this opening. Position open until filled; interviews will begin early May.