Water For People is an unconventional, progressive nonprofit organization that believes that the global water and sanitation crisis can be solved with boldness, ambition, honesty and transparency. We are an organization of field workers who have grown tired of the stale rhetoric and complacent programming that dominates the sector. We are looking for new ways to transform lives around the world through innovative approaches that lead to lasting and meaningful change.
Water For People is currently recruiting for the position of Content Strategist to manage and execute the overall content and social strategies for Water For People, including digital and print. The Content Strategist plans, collects, develops, and publishes content from a variety of sources, including, but not limited to: International Programs, Resource Development, local committees and volunteers, partners, and more. The Content Strategist manages the editorial calendar and digital platforms, explores content delivery trends, tools and best practices, and plays a major role in planning and creating content for marketing and fundraising campaigns/appeals, digital storytelling, email, blog posts, newsletters, and social media. The Content Strategist works within the organization to understand overarching and interdepartmental strategy and objectives, and proactively seeks out opportunities to tell the Water For People story from various perspectives and for multiple audiences. The Content Strategist has a knack for integrating creative concepts and media to effectively convey the organization’s mission, impact, and goals. This position is based at Water For People’s headquarters in Denver, Colorado.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related work experience and 3 years’ experience in content development and managing social media.
Essential Job Functions and Duties
- Create and maintain an organizational editorial calendar for internal and external content & communications.
- Contribute new content for WaterForPeople.org
- Work with Water For People departments and staff to generate ideas for new content and update or repurpose existing materials and content.
- Develop content targeted to various audiences and stakeholders, with a consistent style and voice.
- Utilize internal and external resources to develop and distribute content.
- Manage and execute Water For People’s email strategy across audiences and departments.
- Collaborate with other team members to develop and distribute content for partners, committees, events, volunteers, and more.
- Coordinate with any relevant Water For People consultants and contractors on content and social media projects and tasks.
- Manage all Water For People digital social media presences and profiles with consistency, utilizing best practices and experimenting with new tactics and tools.
- Proactively plan short and long-term content and social media campaigns, initiatives, and projects in support of the organization’s overall strategy, goals and objectives.
- Provide support for other tasks and projects as necessary.
- Conceptualize, launch, and maintain fund-raising campaigns using both digital and print media.
- Work closely with graphic designer to maintain Water For People’s brand.
- Support local volunteer committees with consistent and constant content across various platforms.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Behaviors and Competencies:
- Exemplary communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to project manage and execute multiple projects and campaigns at once, and guide them through to completion.
- Ability to assess content effectiveness through analytics, and respond with appropriate changes to content.
- Success in developing impactful direct-response campaigns that help grow a donor base, retain/upgrade existing supporters, and generate significant annual revenue.
- Ability to work with rough, unedited content and transform materials into engaging, compelling visual and written content.
- Ability to communicate key concepts, ideas, and plans to a variety of audiences (through presentation, written and verbal communications).
- Flexibility and speediness, with ability to create content on short notice, and to adapt and pivot from plans as necessary.
- Extreme professionalism, enterprising attitude, confidence, and willingness to interact with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work with people around the world, with unique cultural backgrounds.
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude, problem-solver, collaborator.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- 3-4 years’ experience creating a variety of content for consumer audiences
- 1-2 years’ experience managing social media for an organization or business
- 1-2 years’ experience in a marketing and/or sales capacity
- Experience using content management systems such as Drupal, Tumblr, and/or WordPress; email providers such as MailChimp and/or Constant Contact; and social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, HootSuite, Instagram, Google+, and more
- Experience taking fresh concepts and ideas to a comprehensive plan and execution, to reach and engage new audiences and convert existing audiences into active supporters
- Digital content strategy and segmentation experience (Website, Blog, Email, Social Media)
- Fundraising/direct marketing experience
- Spanish-speaking is preferred
- Ability to travel 10-15% of the time domestically and internationally to developing countries, where travel is rugged.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Contact and further information If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please send us your resume and cover letter that introduces you to us, and provides insights into both your experiences and how you are the ideal candidate for this position. Also, please let us know how you heard about this position. Resumes and cover letters can be sent to [email protected]; please put the job title in the subject line. Please no phone calls or in person inquiries.
Deadline for submitting your application is 5 pm MDT, Tuesday, June 21, 2016.
This is a full time, exempt position with a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is competitive and commensurate with level of experience.
Water For People cannot provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Great perks of working at our cool office space which is located at I-25 and Broadway:
- Free parking
- We are right off of a light rail stop
- Food Trucks outside the office daily
- Dog Friendly Workplace