Water in the West, Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment
Water in the West (“WitW”) is a joint program of the Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment and the Bill Lane Center for the American West. The mission of WitW is to bridge the gap between research and practice to create and promote the adoption of effective solutions for more sustainable water management in the American West. To accomplish this, we engage Stanford faculty, researchers, and students in solutions focused research. In addition to research, our activities include a variety of activities to communicate research results; workshops and conferences; and other means of engaging water managers, government policy makers, conservation organizations, and other partners. Central to the program’s mission is the development of avenues to communicate the results of our research in a usable and digestible form. These include white papers, policy briefs, blogs, social media, and the program’s website.
Perform work to support research or develop public programs and policies, applying basic knowledge and understanding of scientific theory.
• Extract data and structured information from published literature and other sources.
• Administer questionnaires and rating scales requiring judgment in applying non-routine scoring procedures.
• Conduct literature searches, and write literature summaries, requiring preliminary judgments after the supervisor outlines conceptual approach. Build and organize data as requested by principal investigator or faculty; use common statistical programs, requiring the application of job control language in generating and organizing data.
• Adapt new, nonstandard methods outlined by supervisor (principal investigator or faculty).
• Assist in designing and evaluating phases of research projects, seeking guidance where necessary, and auditing the accuracy and validity of data entered in databases.
• Present research finding to internal audiences, including peers, co-workers, and managers.
• Help orient and train new staff or students as needed.
• Assist with development and design of outreach materials and tools for recruitment, educational, or awareness programs with guidance from supervisor.
Bachelor of Arts degree in an applicable social science related field, or combination of education and relevant experience in an applicable social science. Preference will be given to those with an M.S. or M.A. in natural resources, public policy, or a related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs.
• Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
• Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to complete detailed work accurately.
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work with human study participants.
Certifications and Licenses:
• Occasionally stand/walk, sit, use a telephone, writing by hand, and sort/file paperwork or parts.
• Rarely twist/bend/stoop/squat, kneel/crawl, rarely reach/work above shoulders, operate foot and/or hand controls.
• – Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
• Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
• Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To be considered, interested candidates shall include a cover letter, resume, and writing sample Background check will be required for all final candidates
We are not able to provide relocation or sponsorship for this position. Thank you for your interest!