Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) has an opening in its Climate Change Science Institute (CCSI) and Urban Dynamics Institute (UDI) for a senior research scientist in the field of climate change impacts, adaptation, and vulnerability (IAV). ORNL is looking for a nationally and internationally recognized thought leader to help shape and grow its IAV research portfolio.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to draw upon the substantial expertise and tools available at ORNL; including one of the fastest and most capable supercomputers in the world; world-class climate, population, and urban dynamic models; sophisticated data management and visualization tools; and an exceptional research collaboration environment. CCSI and UDI collaborate closely on research to better understand the implications of climate change on both human and natural systems.
The successful candidate will be a thought leader in the field of IAV research. She/he will be expected to grow and lead IAV projects and staff that advance the state-of-the art in the research, modeling, and analysis of climate change impacts.
Responsibilities will include development of new research proposals, communication with research sponsors, execution of research tasks, supervision of support staff, and communication of research outcomes via publications and professional presentations.
• Ph.D. in geography, environmental science, computational science, energy science, engineering, urban and regional planning, or economics
• Research experience in climate change impact assessment and/or modeling including application of climate model simulation data
• Track record of research excellence as measured by research grants, peer-reviewed publications, and service to the IAV research community
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to lead and work effectively with interdisciplinary research teams
• A track record of strong project management and mentoring early career researchers
• +10 years beyond PhD (senior level)
• Interest and experience in one or more of the following areas:
– Improving our understanding of climate change impacts at the land-energy-water nexus as well as impacts on critical infrastructure
– Improving our understanding of how urban ecosystems impact the climate system and are influenced by a changing climate
– Working with “big data” as well as expertise in data mining, high performance computing, and visualization-driven analysis
– Working on preparing society for and improving resiliency to extreme events
– Engaging with stakeholders and policy makers
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [email protected]
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10 CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.