The Senior Associate – Water Sector will lead the formulation and implementation of all water resources related initiatives in the Uganda country programme. He/she will be GGGI’s focal point with the Ministry of Water and Environment (MoWE) and will contribute to increasing the resilience and capacity of the sector to adapt to climate change through championing GGGI relevant interventions as outlined in the WPB 2017-18, the Country Planning Framework and the Uganda Green Growth Strategy.
- Support the Ministry of Water and Environment (MoWE) in developing specific strategy options to further implement green growth actions, as stipulated in the Uganda National Green Growth Strategy and Roadmap
- Identification of capacity building needs and organizing of trainings to integrate climate adaptation and other green growth mechanisms into policy frameworks at local level particularly in the secondary cities of Mbarara and Gulu.
Research and analysis
- The specialist will conduct thematic and sector studies to identify specific challenges facing the sector and identify investment opportunities that can be leveraged by GGGI.
- Conduct regular reviews of key sector documents and strategies of the sector with the aim of offering technical support in greening sectoral interventions
- Assess the adequacy of water resources data/information in the Ministry of Water and Natural resources and
- Spearhead the development of a water results database as part of the M&E system.
- Conduct a comprehensive mapping of donors and other partners relevant for GGGI’s work.
Support project implementation and development
- Make substantial technical input in the development of new bankable projects under the Uganda country programme
- Provide technical advice to the Programme lead and Country Representative on the implementation of all water related projects under the GGGI country portfolio.
- Maintain regular and constructive contact with other national and international organizations working in the water sector.
- Represent the Country Representative on the Ministry of Water sector working group
- Represent GGGI externally as delegated by the Country Representative including but not limited to donor meetings, project areas etc.
- Water results database for the Uganda country programme
- Technical Briefs, policy papers
- Thematic and sector studies
- Effective representation of GGGI at MoWE
- Master’s Degree or post-graduate degree in engineering/hydrology, water resources, Public Health, Environment or related disciplines.
- At least 7 years’ work experience in the water and natural resources sector in Uganda
- A solid understanding of the Water and Natural Resources sector in Uganda
- Experience in policy formulation, capacity building and multi-stakeholder engagement
- A strong track record in undertaking research in the water sector, analyzing country trends and drawing lessons learned
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work under pressure, on a number of projects simultaneously and to meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrated commitment to GGGI’s core values
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues on the country team to achieve organizational goals.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills