Job Number: 503844 | Vacancy Link
Location: Fiji (Pacific Islands) – MCP
Work Type : Consultancy
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
A consultant is being sought to support the consolidation of a WASH in Emergencies Toolkit in consultation with relevant national and local government counterparts and partner agencies. The consultant will be responsible for the facilitation of discussions and consolidate lessons learned of previous workshops and best practices of past WASH emergency preparedness, response and recovery in respective Pacific Island countries.
- In collaboration with the WASH team in Fiji, Honiara, Kiribati and Port Villa, develop a work plan, for the consolidation of a WASH in Emergencies Toolkit. This should include review of existing training materials used in previous workshops and trainings, adaptation of those materials suitable to the roll out of the Toolkit, and development of new training materials as necessary;
- Conduct preparatory meetings with key UNICEF staff in field offices, and members of the NDMO and local WASH coordination mechanism. Purpose of these meetings it to familiarize key emergency management activities and practices within respective country contexts to inform content of the Toolkit. These preparatory meetings may take place as in country missions, or alternatively remotely via skype/teleconference.
- Field test modules and training materials in one location (Fiji), adapt and finalize based on field testing.
- Support development of a community of practitioners on WASH in emergencies for the Pacific. Design and develop a terms of reference for the community of practitioners.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- University degree (minimum preference at Master’s Degree level) qualification desirably in subjects/ areas of WASH e.g. Health Promotion or Education, Civil or Public Health Engineering, Public Health (MPH), Environmental Health. Note that work experience may substitute for higher degree qualification.
- Additional training in disaster and climate risk resilience is considered an asset.
Years of relevant experience
- Three to five years progressively responsible experience in project implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience in community mobilization and disaster and climate risk resilience especially in urban areas and informal settlements.
- Experience working with UN, Government and NGO partners is desirable.
- Experience working in emergencies is an advantage.
- Demonstrated working experience with Pacific Island Countries is an advantage but not necessary.
- All supported by strong references.
- Fluency in English required.
- Pidgin and Bislama is an advantage.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the Pacific Water, Sanitation and Hygiene challenges and areas of UNICEF’s WASH programme.
- Technical Knowledge of the theories, principles and methods in the following areas: WASH in emergencies, Disaster Risk Resilience/.Reduction, Climate Change adaptation, and community based water supply and sanitation.
- To view our competency framework, please click here.
Detailed Terms of Reference is attached EXTERNAL TOR WiE Toolkit.doc
Interested Candidates must complete and submit the following documents to be considered
1. Cover letter describing how you meet the requirements for this position
2. Online Consultant application form Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
If you are unable to retrieve the Terms of Reference or Expression of Interest Form – please forward an email to [email protected] for further assistance
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date Sun Apr 02 2017 23:00:00 GMT+0200 (SAST) Fiji Standard Time
Closing Date Sun Apr 16 2017 13:55:00 GMT+0200 (SAST)