WFP is a leader in environmental sustainability in the UN system and is seeking an appropriately qualified and experienced consultant to support the expansion of its environmental foot-printing programme. The selected consultant will be based within the Facilities Management unit (RMMI), in the Management Services division in Rome, Italy. She/he will report to the Environmental Sustainability Manager.
The assignment specifically involves the following responsibilities:
- Co-ordinate a small project team to collect the collection of energy usage and other activity data to enable calculation of WFP’s greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions according to international standards, including:
- providing capacity building advice and support to country offices to optimise data quality/address gaps;
- maintaining the WFP Inventory Data Management Plan;
- obtaining external verification (limited assurance) of compliance with the Greenhouse Gas Protocol annually or as required by management;
- co-ordinating the purchase/retirement of carbon credits to ensure WFP’s continued climate neutrality under the auspices of the UN-wide Climate Neutral Initiative
- Develop WFP’s pioneering programme of supply chain carbon footprinting, into areas including agricultural and food processing emissions, upstream distribution and transport; water and waste emissions.
- Oversee the expansion of WFP’s waste and water management reporting initiative, including the development of site-based waste management plans for priority sites.
- Co-ordinate the integration of all environmental data into WFP’s centralised facility management software, (ARCHIBUS) and the preparation of internal and external reporting inputs (Annual Performance Report, intranet, Greening the Blue interagency report, feedback to contributing countries).
- Establish and maintain a database of implemented environmental improvement actions.
- Contribute to the development and delivery as required of training for WFP colleagues, case studies and news articles for publication, and other awareness raising and capacity building materials as needs are identified. Contribute to preparation of funding submissions and business case opportunities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Education – University qualification in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Studies, or related subject is required
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in environmental management and/or corporate/project reporting roles is required; experience should span at least two disciplines from this list: energy/GHG management, water management, waste management, air pollution; environmental compliance, Environmental Impact Assessment, Environmental Management Systems, corporate reporting.
- Of these, prior experience of energy/GHG management and application of the Greenhouse Gas Protocol is required.
- Prior experience of the Climate Neutral UN initiative, Sustainable UN working group and/or prior experience at WFP will be highly regarded.
- Use of MS Office software to at least the intermediate level is required, including Excel.
- Prior experience of the ARCHIBUS facilities management database will be highly regarded.
- Written and oral proficiency in English is essential.
- Proficiency in a second WFP official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, or WFP’s working language, Portuguese) to at least intermediate standard is required.
Deadline for applications: 4 APRIL 2017