Malteser International, the worldwide relief agency of the Order of Malta for humanitarian aid, works in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia and the Americas for people in need, regardless of their religion, origin or political affiliation. Its mission is to provide emergency relief as well as to implement rehabilitation measures and to facilitate the link between emergency relief and sustainable development. Christian values and the humanitarian principles of impartiality and independence form the basis of its work in the following areas: Relief, Reconstruction & Rehabilitation; Health & Nutrition; Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH); Livelihood & Social Programs and Disaster Risk Reduction.
South Sudan, the world’s youngest country, celebrated its independence in 2011. The hope for a peaceful future brought by independence was not to last, however. In December 2013, violent confrontations between the government and opposition forces were already beginning. Since then, 2.5 million South Sudanese people have been forced to flee their homes and villages, almost half of the population does not have enough to eat, and therefore, the risk that infectious diseases, such as cholera and measles, will spread is rising. In some regions, the already completely inadequate medical infrastructure has completely collapsed.
Malteser International has been working in what is now South Sudan since 1996 – above all in the health sector. In recent years, the original focus on the care of patients with tuberculosis and sleeping sickness, and the provision of basic medical care have been expanded to include programs in the fields of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Food and Nutrition Security (FNS).
For its work in Juba, South Sudan, Malteser International is looking for an experienced Project Manager/ WASH & FNS
The responsibility of the Project Manager is the setup, implementation and coordination of the integrated project for the improvement of Food and Nutrition Security and WASH in underserved communities in the peri-urban areas of Juba.
- Coordinate and technically monitor the implementation of all project activities according to the objectives, indicators, work plan and approved budget
- Ensure regular and proper project documentation and reporting according to donor and Malteser standards, rules & regulations (interim and final reports, monthly reports) and link the project closely and pro-actively to the program level
- Lead the project team and ensure with the project support team the sound financial management (review, compliance of budget), administration and logistics of the project
- Provide technical and managerial support to all team members in fulfilment of their duties according to project objectives and ensure compliance with Malteser policies and international standards
- Develop and put into practice appropriate and cost-efficient monitoring tools to improve the water and sanitation and food & nutrition security situation with regard to expected results and indicators as in mentioned in logframe, work plan and other relevant project documents
- Represent Malteser International towards local authorities, partners and donors in close coordination with the Country Coordinator
- Assist Malteser International senior management with any requests for information or data regarding program expansion or development
- Supporting the Country Coordination team in developing WASH programs and supporting the Malteser International Project Teams in planning and implementing WASH projects in their locations
- University degree in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Civil Engineering etc., and/or technical/vocational training with relevant practical experiences in emergency relief/rehabilitation
- Knowledge and experience in implementing integrated Food & Nutrition Security projects
- Minimum 5 years of working experience in planning, implementing and managing humanitarian or development aid projects
- Proven experience in administrative standards and requirements of donors (ECHO, BMZ, etc.)
- Diplomatic and negotiation skills in dealing with partners, different authorities, donors and institutions
- Sensitivity for other cultures
- Excellent ability to lead a team, work in a team and to mediate
- Fully computer literate (Microsoft Office)
- Fluency in English (written and spoken), German or Arabic of advantage
- Starting date: as soon as possible
- Duty Station: Juba, South Sudan
- Duration of contract: 24 months
- Salary according to qualification and experience, insurance package, accommodation in team house
- Please note that this is an unaccompanied position
If you are interested in this position, please apply online at http://goo.gl/Rzuo2r.
Kindly submit your application (CV, letter of motivation, copies of diplomas and three professional references) until June 28th, 2016.
Malteser International D-51101 Cologne / Germany/ www.malteser-international.org