The Delaware Riverkeeper Network (DRN) has an immediate opening for a Staff Attorney in its Bristol, Pennsylvania office. The Staff Attorney will work under the direction of DRN’s outside counsel and executive director and will assist in teaching the organization’s environmental law clinic.
The Delaware River is the longest undammed river east of the Mississippi. The Delaware’s 13,539 square mile watershed is only about four-tenths of one percent of the continental U.S. and area, but it supplies water to five percent of the nation’s population —over 15 million people. Under the leadership of the Delaware Riverkeeper, Maya van Rossum, DRN works to protect the Delaware River watershed and ecosystems from threats such as shale gas extraction, pipeline and powerline construction, dredging, stormwater runoff, wetlands degradation, and pollution. DRN’s legal team consists of a senior outside counsel and three full-time staff attorneys.
- Develop and pursue litigation in state and federal courts and administrative tribunals to advance the organization’s strategic objectives.
- Manage relationships with co-counsel, outside counsel, clients, and coalition partners.
- Co-instruct the River Resources Environmental Law Clinic each academic semester as an adjunct professor for Temple University Beasley School of Law.
- Supervise legal interns.
Applicants must be admitted or qualify for admission in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York or Delaware.
The ideal applicant will have:
- Preferably 4 to 7 years of environmental litigation experience working with the Clean Water Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, the Endangered Species Act, and/or other relevant federal and state environmental statutes.
- Experience in administrative and judicial proceedings and experience in undertaking factual investigations.
- Superb research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to public service and public interest litigation.
How To Apply
This position is open immediately, and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please email a cover letter, resume, references, at least one writing sample from recent litigation, and other pertinent information to Nicholas Patton at [email protected].
DRN is an equal opportunity employer.