Job Number: 503799 | Vacancy Link
Location: Lao People’s Democratic Republic
Work Type : Consultancy
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in Vientiane, Lao PDR is looking for a qualified international consultant to develop National Strategy on Rural Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH). The purpose of this assignment is to support the Government of Lao PDR, specifically the Ministry of Health as the lead ministry, to develop a Strategy on Rural Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (R-WASH) with first 5 year’s costed action plans aligning with WASH SDG. The Strategy will cover the period until 2030 with and with operational plans for 5 years (expected to review and revise every 5 years up to 2030). It is estimated that the consultant will work for a period of approximately 60 working days (32 days in-country support and 28 days from the remote).
Duties and responsibilities:
With the guidance of lead ministry specifically the MoH and under the direct supervision of Chief, WASH and Climate Change Resilience Programme Section the consultant is expected to support the work of the Ministry of Health in the following areas and to undertake the following tasks:
Phase 1 Issue identification and analysis of the problems:
Task 1: Identify the key problems/issues/bottlenecks in achieving the 2020 WASH sector targets of 8th NSEDP by carrying out the desk review of existing documents and analysis of secondary data.
Task 2: Facilitate consultative meetings with key stakeholders in defining and understanding the identified problems for Strategy formulation.
Phase 2 Generating and defining Strategy options:
Task 3: Generate and assess options of the suggested strategies and key interventions, and defining the outcomes.
Task 4: Facilitate 2-3 Consultative workshops with key stakeholders/right holders to discuss and define the Strategy and implementation options (visits to provinces may be required, e.g. for the northern, central and southern regional workshops).
Phase 3 Formulating National Strategy on Rural WASH including costed action plans for first 5 years, performance measurement and financing requirement:
Task 5: Draft National Strategy; and performance measurement and financing requirement.
Task 6: Facilitate consultative workshop to discuss and present the preliminary draft of the Strategy its performance measurement and financing requirement.
Task7: Finalize the Strategy and performance monitoring measurement system including financing requirement.
Qualifications and experience:
- Advanced University degree from a recognized University Social Sciences, Development Studies, Engineering, or other related disciplines.
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience (international) in sanitation and systems formulation, including development of national WASH sector Strategy; a sound knowledge of documentation and report writing is essential.
- In-depth knowledge on institutional and organizational development, public expenditure management and experiences in the WASH and environmental sectors. Prior experience with sanitation reviews in Lao PDR, or the Asian region, is an advantage
- Excellent skills in Strategy development, planning, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent training, facilitation, presentation and IT skills with ability to generate data, interpret and utilize it for decision making.
- Ability to work effectively with top policy makers and development partners and manage large groups in workshops / meetings.
- Commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
- Language: Excellent English (written and oral) necessary.
- Other skills: Excellent analytical writing, communication and inter-personal skills.
Opening Date Thu Mar 30 2017 03:00:00 GMT+0200 (SAST) SE Asia Standard Time
Closing Date Fri Apr 21 2017 12:00:00 GMT+0200 (SAST)