Contributes technical knowledge and experience in environment safeguards and environmental management to the Resident Mission (RM) by taking a lead role in ensuring compliance with ADB’s Safeguards Policy Statement (SPS), implementing environment-related projects and technical assistance, and sharing knowledge on environment issues to ensure SPS compliance and enhance project quality in public and private sector operations in the developing member countries (DMC).
Compliance to ADB’s SPS • Ensure procedural and substantive compliance with ADB’s SPS for projects implemented by Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM).• Takes a leading role in loan review/supervision missions to: o Assess compliance with ADB’s SPS; o Evaluate Environmental Management Plan (EMP) implementation, Environmental Impact Assessment/Initial Environmental Examination and environment-related loan covenants; o Where required, propose and agree with government on corrective actions; and o Address implementation issues identified.• In technical assistance (TA)/loan processing missions, ensures the proper completion of:o Environmental safeguards categorization;o Environmental safeguards documents including EIA, IEE, EMP and Environmental Assessment and Review Frameworks (EARF); ando Environmental sections of administration manuals, and loan/project agreements.• Ensures the completion and quality of environmental review in review/supervision/processing missions.• Contributes expertise in environment management by providing technical support to project officers in project review mission.• Independently implements environment projects/TA.• Reviews environmental monitoring reports for ongoing projects in DMC, identify opportunities for further improvement, and ensure timely disclosure.• Undertakes sector assessment and provides the RM staff concerned appropriate advice on environment policy and intuitional reforms.• Takes a leading role in the annual country portfolio and program review mission and assists in conducting country portfolio reviews as necessary.
Programs/projects related to Environment and Climate Change• Leads, or partners with ADB staff concerned, in administering climate change related projects/programs in DMC.• Ensures sufficient technical and administrative support is available for non-delegated environmental and climate change loan and TA projects.• Oversees annual contract awards and disbursement projections for environment projects, including:o Providing guidance to junior officers in preparing annual contract awards and disbursement projections;o Monitoring achievements periodically against projection targets; and o Informing Country Director or relevant stakeholders for any anomalies.• Ensures the completion and quality of:o Project briefing papers and seminar papers; ando Project and technical assistance completion reports.
Knowledge sharing on environment and climate change matters• Coordinates and oversees the analytical reviews and data compilation/ management on environmental and climate change aspects of ADB operations in the DMC, including the coordination with development partners. • Actively develops knowledge products, services and partnership to implement the objectives of the environment policy in DMC.• Plans and conducts awareness training programs on environmental management and safeguards for the RM staff, executing agencies, and other concerned parties.• Actively communicating environment and climate change messages to internal stakeholders in ADB, the executing agencies and the Government of DMC, which includes networking with government, civil society, other international/local organizations, and other project stakeholders.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Applies updated advancements in own knowledge area to relevant tasks
- Applies knowledge and practical skills to independently perform some complex tasks
- Conveys the need to use updated project approaches
- Delivers Divisional contributions across a variety of products and services to meet the needs of different clients
- Proposes options to clients that may better meet their needs than current approaches
- Defines and delivers to agreed standards with clients
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts detailed research and analysis to determine appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues
- Self-monitors achievement of results according to work plans
- Identifies different stakeholder needs and desired outcomes when planning for outcomes
- Independently solves problems and makes recommendations
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks with audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in environmental engineering, environmental sciences, and/or environmental management, or related fields, preferably with Master’s Degree or equivalent
Work experience• At least 8 years relevant experience in project preparation and administration with substantial experience in environmental management; and at least 4 years of supervisory experience
Technical knowledge• Multidisciplinary competence and proven ability to undertake the environmental management of IFIs-financed projects.• Knowledge of policy and regulatory framework for environmental management in DMC, and environmental standards and good practices.• Good understanding of the environment operations, policies, and procedures of multilateral development and financing institutions.• Sound knowledge of government institutions/administrative systems/procedures in environment sector.• Effective report-writing; excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
People and supervisory skills• Able to guide Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review.• Able to liaise and work effectively with government officials within own work location.• Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Supervisor: Country Director and/or designated International Staff (IS)
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:o Administrative Staff (AS)
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive work environment.