Project Director for Haiti Reforestation Project
Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International will be recruiting applicants for the position of Project Director with the anticipated Haiti Reforestation Project under the Forestry & Natural Resource Management (FNRM) Unit. The responsibilities, duties, and qualifications are described in the attached position description. Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
General: Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
Salary & Benefits: The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits.
Applications: Applicants should go to the Winrock’s Careers page at http://www.winrockinternational.appone.com/ and submit a current resume and cover letter referencing ‘Haiti Project Director’ by April 15, 2017. Winrock would like to graciously thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted. EEO/AA.
Position Title: Project Director, Haiti Reforestation Program
Location: Port au Prince and/or Cap Haitien, Haiti
Unit: Forestry & Natural Resource Management
Reports to: Director, FNRM Unit
Winrock is seeking Project Director candidates for an anticipated USAID/Haiti program on reforestation. This position will be based in Port au Prince and/or Cap Haitien, Haiti. The anticipated project will build on previous experiences and work from other USAID and donor investments with a focus on an environment and food security activity designed to address environmental degradation and loss of tree cover in Haiti. Activities will be designed to reduce the threat of deforestation and increase tree cover in and around targeted areas, in line with USAID/Haiti’s goal of restoring the provision of environmental services in targeted forest areas in support of food security and resilience. The project will directly support and contribute to the Government of Haiti (GOH)-led efforts to manage healthy watersheds and mitigate and adapt to the impacts of climate change through forestry and land use practices. Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
- Provide overall technical leadership and administrative oversight to achieve the results of the program
- Serve as principal liaison to USAID/Haiti.
- Oversee and be responsible for financial and administrative aspects of the project including managing the budget
- Provide supervision, support, and direction to long- and short-term staff
- Administer the project’s financial oversight and procedures, ensuring compliance with established Winrock accounting principles and USAID regulations
- Monitor program indicators, evaluate program results and make recommendations for improvement in program implementation
- Identify and mitigate project risk
- Analyze project impact and challenges to adaptively manage the project to meet or exceed results.
- Ensure women and marginalized groups are beneficiaries of the project
- Prepare annual work plans and progress reports, and monitor the implementation of these plans
- Prepare and submit quarterly reports on progress of activities and achievement of program results to USAID
- Interact directly and on a regular basis with USAID and other stakeholders
- Participate in regular field visits to the project areas to assure project progress towards activity objectives and goals
- Coordinate and communicate on a regular basis with Winrock’s Home Office
- Manage relationships with complementary USAID and donor projects
- Represent Winrock at meetings and events as required and keep Winrock home office informed regarding new opportunities in the country and region.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
- Master’s degree required in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Agronomy, Environmental Policy, Earth Sciences, Governance, or relevant fields of study related to the project. PhD in relevant discipline would be a distinct asset.
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in similar position in fields related to results and objectives of the project required for the successful implementation of this program, natural resource management, agroforestry, agriculture, climate change, community development, and governance, as well as an understanding of policy, economics, and market issues in these sectors.
- Proven exceptional leadership as project director or chief of party in the design, management, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of similar size and complex international donor support programs with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting.
- Proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse public and private partners and the ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams.
- Technical and managerial experience in Haiti and/or Latin America and the Caribbean is highly desirable.
- Technical understanding of forestry, agriculture, and climate change issues.
- Knowledge of USAID policies and procedures as related to project management preferred.
- Knowledge of the political, social, cultural, environmental, and development context of Haiti strongly preferred.
- Ability to diplomatically supervise staff and coordinate programs with partners from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to build coalitions and networks that can provide synergies and sustainable solutions.
- Must be comfortable in high-level representational role as well as interacting with beneficiaries.
- Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written, to effectively coordinate stakeholders.
- Fluency in written and oral English and French is required. Haitian Kreyol preferred.