The Government of the Republic of Uganda (GoU) and Development Partners (DP), including ADA, are implementing a Joint Water and Environment Sector Support Programme (JWESSP) over the 5-year period 2013-2018. The programme is a continuation of a similar programme which was running from 2008 to 2013. The programme supports the GoU’s effort to eradicate poverty in Uganda in line with the mandate of the MWE and also incorporates support to the Environment and Natural Resources (ENR) sub-sector. It is also intended to further harmonise and align DP support to the sector by encouraging alignment to a consistent, co-ordinated and flexible sector programme. DPs are expected to “buy in” and to support components or elements that comply with their respective policies and strategic areas of support.
The DP supporting the sector are organised in the Water and Sanitation Sector Development Partners Group (WSSDPG). The chair function of the WSSDPG rotates in a troika arrangement with a chair and an incoming and outgoing chair. Currently, the WSSDPG is chaired by the Embassy of Germany. The DP Liaison Advisor is expected to support the chair in leading the policy dialogue with the GoU related to water and sanitation. The DP Liaison Advisor will support the MWE, through its Water & Environment Sector Liaison Department, by being a strong partner to the DPs. The leadership of liaison with DPs remains with the MWE.
The overall purpose of the assignment is to support the Development Partners (DPs) organised in the Water and Sanitation Sector Development Partners Group (WSSDPG) in achieving an effective and coordinated collaboration with the Ministry of Water and Environment (MWE) and within the sector. This will facilitate effective achievement of the planned sector outcome and efficient use of the resources made available, while contributing to improvement of alignment, harmonisation, accountability and transparency for the remaining period of the JWESSP until 2018 and for the preparation and inception of a possible successor arrangement of sector support.
For the complete job description, please click here.
Starting date: As soon as possible
Contract period: 24 months fixed term contract (possibility of extension for max. 2 years)
Location: Kampala/ Uganda
- EU/ EWR-Citizenship
- University education at master degree level or higher in the area of water supply and sanitation, water resource management or environment;
- Extensive work experience with DPs and African government institutions at all levels;
- Experience in working as an adviser to government and implementation of development projects internationally;
- Experience in development of sector organisations and management of change processes (e.g. changes in organisational structures);
- Experience in capacity development within public institutions with decentralized services;
- Strong working experience in developing countries, knowledge of the Ugandan water sector is an asset;
- Proven experience of working in complex multi-stakeholder environment;
- Experience in water and/or environmental policy development and strategic planning at international level;
- Analytical, outgoing and robust with a pragmatic approach and appreciation for the dynamics in public service organisations;
- Political flair and understanding of public service dynamics and power relations;
- Ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team with relations to different DPs and their headquarters, ministries and stakeholders;
- Excellent skills for working in a cross-cultural environment, and sensitive to cultural differences;
- Gender and diversity competencies.
The minimum salary for this position is EUR 93.164,32 gross per year based on full-time employment.
Please submit your application to [email protected] by 16 April 2017, indicating “ADA Development Partner Liaison Advisor in the Water Sector Uganda” in the subject and include your CV in English, a motivation letter, name, contacts and working relationship of 3 references (at least one referee your direct supervisor).