We are looking for a Consultant to contribute to the successful delivery of Itad Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) projects by undertaking complex, innovative and diverse assignments that utilise their technical monitoring and evaluation expertise, project management and people management skills.
Itad’s purpose is to provide the insight and ideas to drive more effective use of resources in international development. We are proud to remain an independent M&E consultancy that continues to grow significantly year on year with the support of a diverse client base. Our projects are diverse – spanning theory based, mixed method evaluations, designing complex M&E/learning systems for multi-million pound initiatives, providing strategic advice to programmes and organisations, and conducting long-term, multi-country impact evaluations.
Our values and sense of mission are at the core of what we do. Itad offers the chance to work in a friendly, dynamic and stimulating environment and be part of a rapidly growing team.
Itad’s WASH portfolio sits under our social protection and livelihoods theme, which focuses on diminishing people’s exposure to risks, enhancing their capacity to manage economic, environmental and social risks, including through increased livelihoods opportunities, greater attention to nutrition, and access to clean water and sanitation. Our work focuses on such issues as food security, cash transfers, the interconnections between social protection interventions and climate change, land and forest related livelihoods issues, and water sector reform.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Post-graduate degree in an applied development field, ideally relevant to the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector
- Technical expertise and relevant work experience (3-5 years) in the WASH sector, focussed on addressing the lack of access to basic sanitation and safe water supply for the world’s poor.
- Technical expertise in designing and using WASH indicators for the monitoring or verification of WASH interventions (at project or organisational levels).
- Technical experience in at least one major aspect of data collection and analysis, such as evaluation design; monitoring and reporting systems; qualitative methodologies and data collection, analysis and interpretation of qualitative data; survey sampling, survey design or statistical analysis.
- Strong analytical, facilitation, presentation and writing skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, e.g. proven ability to deal with staff, collaborators and partners from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures
- Ideally experience of project management
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Proficiency in one or more of the other UN languages, and in particular French-speaking (having operated in a Francophone country) is preferable.
Duties and responsibilities:
A. Project acquisition
- Assess business leads identified by the Business Development team, Theme and Cluster leads
- Work with the Business Development team to produce Expressions of Interest (EOIs) and prepare project proposals, including bid writing, work planning, and establishing project teams and consortia where appropriate
B. Project Implementation – Technical
- Provide technical inputs into WASH projects, either in the UK or overseas, as agreed with the Itad project manager, Theme and Cluster Leads and Directors. In the short term, this is likely to include contributions to the verification of WASH interventions run by third party suppliers.
- Undertake assignments as a member of a team, to achieve a target annual turnover and gross profit in line with company targets
- Experience in sharing knowledge, such as through presentations at conferences and writing papers is desirable.
C. Project Implementation – Management
Undertake delegated elements of project management guided by a Senior or Principal Consultant which will include:
- Coordinating teams, including internal Itad staff, consultants, and researchers
- Managing sub-contracted external UK and overseas-based consultants, partner organisations, and consortium members
- Monitoring and managing the financial performance of projects under your delegated management, in line with project budgets and financial targets
- Liaising with accounts staff to ensure prompt purchase and sales ledger invoicing
- Travel in the UK and overseas is part of the job, including meetings, workshops and field-level visits to verify data collection, as required.
- Ensuring partner organisations and individuals deliver to the standards expected by the client
D. Marketing & Networking
- Coordinate WASH leads and market intelligence towards building a growing WASH portfolio
- Develop and maintain networks of freelance consultants and associates with skills in WASH, monitoring, verification and evaluation
- Build partnerships with like-minded organisations with complementary skills and interests
- Seek out and pursue new business opportunities through direct contacts
- Assist with production of materials for the Itad website, including blogs and project descriptions
- Assist with maintaining project information on Itad’s internal IT systems
- Proactively network with clients, partners and consultants to promote Itad’s interests in WASH monitoring, verification and evaluation; and maintain awareness of forthcoming opportunities and the latest developments in the sector
E. Professional Development
- Undertake professional development as agreed with your line manager, to ensure that your professional knowledge and skills are current and that you have clear and distinct expertise to offer on projects
- Maintain your CV and ensure that it describes sets of skills and experience that can be utilised on Itad projects
Itad consultants are required to prepare annual workplans that include financial benchmarks as well as objectives for professional development and collaborative working. You will be expected to work efficiently and effectively to achieve performance benchmarks that relate to your job.
We offer a competitive remuneration package. Salary will be negotiable depending on experience and qualifications. We also provide matched stakeholder pension contributions, a performance related bonus, and attractive conditions of service.
Application is by CV and covering letter Monday 21st April (midday). We would like the selected candidate to start as soon as possible. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
For non-EU applicants: If you are a non-EU National then please refer to the UK Border Agency website for information regarding your eligibility to work in the UK.
Note: this job description is not an exhaustive list of the responsibilities and activities that the job holder may be required to undertake.