Purpose of the Position
- Provide strategic analysis and guidance: contributes to the development of Oxfam technical strategic areas (DRR linked to EFSVL, WASH, resilience, urban, capacity building) at regional level. Provides high quality advice and analysis of work and trends, and synthesis of learning on DRR from external and internal sources (i.e. our programmes, global and other regional advisers), to help the organisation to plan more effective and risk-informed emergency response strategies.
- Guide regional and country programmes in disaster risk reduction, emergency preparedness and response: Participate to the development and implementation of emergency response strategies, together with the other regional advisers with particular attention to gender analysis and mainstreaming. This includes providing support to the design and implementation of regional or national programs on DRR, or mainstreaming DRR in programs.
- Support gathering and sharing of good practice among country programmes integrating Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), social protection and sustainable solutions to livelihoods and WaSH in particular in disaster affected areas. Facilitate learning and sharing of good practices in the region, and contribute to DRR related knowledge management across the region, Oxfam International (i.e. DRR global advisers), and with partners and external organisations.
- Influence policies and practices: work with others to influence development and humanitarian policies and practices at regional level especially in disaster risk reduction, including our own programme policies, based on and learning from programme experience.
Support to Disaster Risk Reduction Programming
- Lead development of a coherent strategic vision at national and regional levels for DRR programming in the region.
- Develop a practical and effective approach to community based risk assessment, analysis and reduction, contextualized to the different countries where Oxfam operates, based on the priorities set by the regional office and the needs of the different country offices.
- Support country programmes in integrating community-based risk assessment, analysis and reduction into development/longer-term programmes, based on Oxfam best practices and sound gender analysis.
- Work closely with other DRR experts within OI confederation and share experience and learning.
- Support gender analysis and gender mainstreaming in DRR programming in collaboration with regional and country staff.
Internal Humanitarian Preparedness and Operations
- Manage and supervise an international roster of deployable programme managers, including training, information sharing, supervision of deployment arrangements in collaboration with different country offices, provision of updates on current responses, monitoring of availability of roster members, facilitate communication among members and with different country offices.
- Lead on the preparation of regional level summaries of preparedness needs based upon country preparedness plans, and develop a regional strategy to meet the preparedness needs identified, including strategies for humanitarian skills development of Oxfam staff and partners (training, facilitation of cross learning and of learning by doing, development of humanitarian lead) and strategies for systems development (logistics, human resources, security) to deliver a timely and adequate response, meeting Oxfam’s standards and procedures.
- Support country offices to develop contingency plans meeting Oxfam International requirements and monitor the regular up-dates of these plans.
- Ensure adequate gender analysis and gender mainstreaming in the countries’ Contingency Plans and operations.
- Support regional leadership team and country programme managers in ensuring ongoing analysis of humanitarian trends within each country of the region, especially through the monitoring of early warning systems.
- During emergency response, contribute to operationalization of contingency planning, execution of emergency response and contribute to setting-up adequate monitoring and evaluation systems.
- In peace time, contribute to update the Contingency Plans, with up to date risk analysis and scenario planning.
- Develop strategic thinking on the continuum emergency operations/resilience-reconstruction/development: contribute to integrate resilience thinking in the early stages of emergency response and contribute to elaborate resilience-reconstruction plans in the aftermath of disasters in line with Oxfam’s “One Program” approach.
- Support global thinking on the impact of climate change providing appropriate and timely, regionally specific information.
- Liaise with Oxfam International members to develop at the regional level OI understanding and integration of risk reduction activities both in humanitarian and development programming.
- Represent Oxfam International in national and regional DRR fora as required (e.g. UNISDR, GNDR).
- Contribute to elaborate resilience strategies in country; facilitate cross-sector integration and contribute to the Asia Regional Resilience Knowledge Hub work.
- BA in humanitarian-related topics;
- At least 5 years experience of humanitarian response and/or development work sufficient to develop significant expertise in the practical implementation of theoretical knowledge;
- At least 2 years Disaster Risk Reduction programming experience with demonstrated experience in disaster preparedness and familiarity with the concepts of prevention, mitigation and preparedness;
- Demonstrated ability to integrate risk reduction learning into long-term development programming and good capacity to understand key links between development policies and practices and disaster risk reduction;
- Ability to travel at short notice and work in demanding conditions (50 to 75% of contract time);
- Good assessment, analytical and planning skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and the ability to relate to people from all backgrounds;
- Ability to work with diplomacy, tact and sensitivity and to influence others without line authority;
- Well developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations and ability to work under pressure and in response to changing needs, and within different cultural contexts;
- Familiar with and abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct and with the Sphere Humanitarian Charter and Minimum standards;
- Good written and spoken English.
- Demonstrable skills in gender analysis in programming and preparedness planning and a clear understanding of the practical significance of gender issues;
- Demonstrated experience of skills development and capability building for individuals and teams who will come from different nationalities and cultures (including identifying training needs and facilitation of training);
- Familiar with the aims and objectives of Oxfam including equality of opportunity and diversity policies.
What we offer
We are looking for national candidates of one of the following Asian countries who will be based in one of the locations mentioned: Bangladesh – Dakha, Cambodia – Phonm Penh, Hong Kong, India – Delhi, Indonesia – Jakarta, Laos – Vientiane, Myanmar – Yangon, Nepal – Kathmandu, Pakistan – Islamabad, Philippines – Manila, Sri Lanka – Colombo, Thailand – Bangkok, Timor Leste or Vietnam – Hanoi. We will offer a competitive and fair national pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors.
Are you the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction Advisor we’re looking for?
Please submit your application via the apply button and include your motivation letter and CV. Your application must be received by April 6th, 2017 at the latest. Please note that only applications received via the link provided can be taken into consideration.