Based in the Friends of the Earth Europe office in Brussels, full time, to start immediately.
Deadline for applications: 23h00 CET on 27th June 2016.
Friends of the Earth Europe campaigns for sustainable and just societies and for the protection of the environment. It unites more than 30 national organisations with thousands of local groups and is part of the world’s largest grassroots environmental network, Friends of the Earth International.
This is a unique opportunity to create a change in Europe’s resource use, leading to societies that live within ecological limits, with a focus on wellbeing instead of material consumption. We are offering a chance to lead the Resource use and Consumption Programme of a prominent environmental NGO working at the European level, which will require knowledge of Europe’s resource use, consumption and waste challenges, experience of planning and executing successful campaign strategies, as well as engaging with a diverse and active network of member organisations across Europe.
Work will include leading a small team in Brussels and engaging and supporting member groups active in this programme across Europe, ensuring fundraising for the programme and contributing to broader FoEE strategy and to the overall running of the organisation. We are looking for a candidate that is committed to achieving systemic change, is creative, pro-active, able to follow more than one policy debate at the same time and understands campaigning at local/national and EU/international level, as well as someone with fundraising and line-management experience.
Main challenges that will be addressed:
- Identifying opportunities to advocate for Europe to measure its natural resource consumption, set reduction targets and transition to a resource efficient society, through the EU’s Circular Economy Package, the Bioeconomy Strategy, the Land as a Resource communication, and other policy processes;
- Working with allies at EU level, and our member groups to show how Europe’s current management of waste offers false solutions to our resource crisis and campaign for sustainable waste management approaches;
- Supporting a strong Europe-wide movement that can add weight to our political demands, and develop best-practice at local and national level;
- Developing a new strand of work on overconsumption and wellbeing.
Responsibilities and deliverables include:
- Develop and implement strategies and specific campaign plans for the Resource Use and Consumption programme (resource use footprints and resource efficiency, waste, overconsumption and wellbeing)
- Engage with Friends of the Earth Europe member groups and support them in setting up and implementing joint campaigns and mobilisations at local and national level
- Represent the programme and FoEE externally and internally
- Line-manage Resource Use campaigner(s) and ensure team work in the programme
- Deliver on outputs envisaged in current funding applications (specifically including position papers, research and report writing, internal NGO meetings, lobbying of key EU decision-makers, media engagement and external event organisation)
- Ensure funding base for the programme and manage its budget in cooperation with our fundraiser, finance team and management team
- Ensure coordination and coherence with other programmes and teams in the organization, within our overall strategy, and system change approach
- Commitment to the values, vision and mission of Friends of the Earth
- At least 5 years of work experience with relevance for the key responsibilities
- Ability to demonstrate strong campaign experience, preferably environment-related at the EU and/or national level
- Experience in fundraising and project management, including planning, implementation and evaluation
- Team and line-management experience, and an ability to motivate and lead
- An excellent command of English, which is the working language for this post. Knowledge of other European languages is an advantage
- Knowledge of EU institutions, familiarity with EU policies and initiatives in the areas of resource-use cycle from extraction to end-of-life, circular economy, sustainable resource management or related
- A collaborative spirit and political awareness
The position will be based in our office in Brussels (full-time, 5 days a week).
Friends of the Earth Europe offers a highly motivating working environment in an international NGO and office located in an environmentally friendly NGO building.
One year fixed contract with possibility for renewal, starting as soon as possible.
Remuneration: EUR 3590 to EUR 3810 (brutto) depending on experience.
Friends of the Earth Europe offers an attractive benefits package, including a 13th month, lunch vouchers, additional 5 days of holidays per year, pension scheme, hospitalisation and comprehensive travel insurance. We also offer full coverage of train travel in case of commuting within Belgium.
We encourage applications from people of any ethnic, social and religious background, sexual orientation and gender identity. We particularly encourage applications from people who are or who feel under-represented in the environmental movement. The working language is English, but applicants are not expected to be native speakers. Conditions are according to Belgian legislation, hence the position is open solely to persons with right to work in the EU.
If you feel you meet our criteria, and feel inspired by the objectives and challenges of the position, please send an email with an attached CV and a letter explaining your background and why you feel you meet our criteria to [email protected] by 23h00 CET on 27 June 2016.
Interviews will be conducted on in the week of July 4th and/or July 11th. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.