ISciences, L.L.C. is a Michigan based limited liability corporation founded in 1997 with offices in Ann Arbor MI, Burlington VT, and Washington, DC. We believe in the power of evidence based analysis to understand vulnerabilities and achieve sustainability in a rapidly changing world. Our core strength is the ability to integrate expertise in the physical sciences, the social sciences, and information technology to solve our customers’ problems.
ISciences provides strategic, scientific and technical consulting services to a variety of government, commercial and non-profit clients in the fields of sustainable development, vulnerability assessment, remote sensing, and geospatial analysis. Our contributions influence policy decisions at some of the world’s largest companies and at the highest reaches of government. ISciences has four principal areas of practice: Water and Climate, Corporate Sustainability, Remote Sensing, and Human Security.
Summary of Position:
The Research Scientist will be a member of a team that performs quantitative sustainability and vulnerability assessments for a variety of U.S. government and commercial clients. These analyses tend to focus on climatic stresses, freshwater shortages and surplus, water quality, and political instability; cover large geographic areas (e.g., global or continental scale), and use data derived from satellite remote sensing, geospatial analysis, and quantitative environmental, social, political, economic indicators.
- Develop sophisticated statistical models employing advanced methods such as ordinal logistic regression, copulas, LASSO/Elastic Nets, bootstrapping, and k-fold cross validation using R and related software packages.
- Construct state-of-the-art geospatial models using common industry and open source tools such as ArcGIS, Python, and R.
- Develop custom scripts and programs in programming environments such as Python, VBA, and/or Kepler.
- Integrate data from a variety of sources, formats, and disciplines into coherent databases.
- Write compelling analytical reports for government and corporate decision makers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master degree or equivalent experience in environmental science, computer science, mathematics, political science, or related discipline.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to conduct sustainability and vulnerability assessments, particularly assessments of freshwater issues.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to perform geospatial analysis using satellite remote sensing and geographic information systems.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to present complex scientific information in compelling written and oral form.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to create software programs to perform operations that are not directly supported in standard industry software packages.
Compensation: Competitive salaries and benefits, with flexible work schedules.
U.S. Citizenship Required
ISciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer