Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI, www.sei-international.org) is an independent international research institute, engaged in environment and development issues at local, national, regional and global policy levels for more than a quarter of a century. Our goal is to bring about change for sustainable development by bridging science and policy. We do this by providing integrated analysis that supports decision makers. SEI works from seven main centres around the world, with additional offices linked to these. Project teams generally span locations.
Bridging science and policy has been SEI’s mission since its creation in 1989, but in recent years, the institute has made significant investments to further strengthen its research, policy engagement and communications capacity. SEI is rated as the world’s most influential think tank on environmental policy issues in the University of Pennsylvania’s 2016 Global Go To Think Tanks Index, billed as the “premier database and measure of world think tanks”.
The main role of the Senior Policy Coordinator, who is part of the SEI Asia Centre, is to develop and implement SEI Asia’s policy engagement strategy to enhance SEI’s influence in the policies in water and other related sectors for sustainable development in Asia. He/she will provide the guidance to the SEI Asia team, on effective policy engagement processes and mechanisms to support our research work in the Mekong Region and Asia. The work will initially focus on the Sustainable Mekong Research Network (SUMERNET, www.sumernet.org) and Chindwin Futures Project ( https://www.sei-international.org/projects?prid=2139 ) and quickly expand to contribute to other programmes and projects in SEI Asia Centre and SEI globally.
The appointee will be working with colleagues in the SEI Asia Centre in Bangkok and will report directly to SEI Asia Deputy Director, linking with specific project leaders and is under overall supervision of the SEI Asia Centre Director.
- Develops and implements SEI Asia’s Policy Engagement strategy to enhance SEI’s influence on policies in different sectors, with an emphasis on the water sector, for sustainable development in Asia. This may include identification, design, development and budgeting as well as implementation of projects related to policy analysis and engagement.
- Provides guidance to the SEI Asia team with policy analysis and strategies for policy engagement processes and mechanisms throughout Asia.
- Engages across policy-making domains with various stakeholders (i.e. government officials, think tanks, universities, research institutes) to improve the policies and practices for sustainable development;
- Assists in building and expanding strategic partnerships and networking with governments, civil society organizations, donors and the private sector in developing and implementing policy engagement project activities using SEI research.
- Identifies potential funding sources, leads or contributes to fundraising on policy work, and seeks to secure funding for policy engagement projects or activities.
- Prepares policy documents related to projects as agreed with funders or respective project leaders (e.g. agenda, work plan, literature reviews, policy reports, policy briefs and publications as well as new policy engagement ideas for proposals)
- Be the focal person in SEI Asia to coordinate across SEI on policy engagement work activities.
- Support activities related to the centre management and development upon the request of the SEI Asia Management Team
- Contribute to the development of the Centre policies and cluster strategies.
- In collaboration with the SEI Communications Team and the Centre Communications Coordinator, facilitates and supports communications and outreach activities including e.g. presentations, speeches, dialogue events and media articles to support SEI’s policy engagement.
- Contributes to strengthening the relationship between SEI Asia with the host country (Thai government) and partnership with the host institute (Chulalongkorn University) and other agencies within the region.
- Contributes to office management (e.g. staff meetings, administrative tasks, recruitment processes) and other duties as assigned by line managers.
- Ph.D. with 15-year work experience (or Master’s with at least 18-year experience) in the field related to natural resources management.
- A minimum of 5 years of leading or managing the projects or programmes with the policy engagement as core component of work.
- Strong knowledge and understanding on the sustainable development challenges and interconnection between water, food, energy and climate change being faced in the Mekong Region and other developing countries in Asia.
- Extensive experience interfacing and networking with governmental and non-governmental agencies on policy-related issues, preferably related to natural resources management, especially water related issues in Mekong Region and other developing countries in Asia.
- Strong track record in fund raising for the projects and activities related to policy work.
- Proven record of successful contribution/influence the policies related to natural resources management
- Proven experience in policy review and analysis
- Strong writing skill for the projects and activities required for policy analysis and engagement (e.g. agenda, work plan, literature reviews, reports, policy briefs, publications, proposals).
- Strong motivation, personal initiative and commitment to excellence and results, as well as enthusiasm for supporting scientific research and policy engagement.
- Demonstrated record of interdisciplinary collaboration, partnership and team building and the desire to work in a collaborative environment with time management.
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English.
- Experience working in the governmental or development sector.
- Experience in writing publications and a range of media outputs in English.
- Working knowledge of local languages in the Mekong Region.
Salary package including health insurance and provident fund commensurate with academic background and experience. SEI Asia offers an exciting and interesting opportunity to work alongside some of the region’s leading researchers to bring genuine change to the world we live in.