African Risk Capacity (ARC) is a Specialised Agency of the African Union. The ARC Agency leads the ARC Group, a development finance institution that provides financial tools and infrastructure to help countries manage natural disaster risk and adapt to climate change. It counts 32 AU countries as members and is supervised by a ministerial level governing board elected by its Conference of the Parties. The ARC design and establishment phase was managed by WFP, under a MoU with the African Union, and WFP continues to provide administrative services support to the ARC Agency through an administrative services agreement.
Reporting to the ARC Director of Research & Development and working closely with the R&D and Technical Teams, in close collaboration and under guidance of the Flood Model Development Manager, the GIS & Data Specialist’s responsibilities will include the following:
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Understand ARC and the Africa RiskView software and its underlying methodology;
- Validate the temporal and spatial accuracy of AFM-R and underlying model components (flood depiction, flood index) by correlating model results with information from sources such as river gauge data, land use and emergency response operations, amongst others;
- Contribute to the flood model development at the technical level, helping to define the underlying indices that will be used for flood insurance contracts;
- Work with the ARV Development Team to ensure the flood module is successfully tested and incorporated into the tool;
- Together with the Flood Development Manager and the Technical Team, ensure technical country-level inputs to and feedback on the flood model are gathered and incorporated into the model and insurance product;
- Prepare training material on the flood model, validation and customisation work where required and guide ARC Secretariat Technical Team staff in the same;
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the validation and, where possible, customisation of the flood model by in-country Technical Working Groups and the ARC Secretariat Technical Team;
- Manage the documentation and data generated and gathered during the flood model and insurance phase and ensure all final work is documented and stored on Teamworks and related SOPs are updated and maintained;
- Contribute to the testing of the Africa RiskView software and refinement of its current products;
- Reporting of bugs and possible improvements of the Africa RiskView software and other tools to the R&D team;
- Providing GIS and data preparation and analysis support for the ARC Technical Team staff and R&D team, as necessary;
- Duty travel representing the ARC at workshops as necessary;
- Provide other technical support as required by the R&D and Technical Teams
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
In addition to timely and high-quality technical input and assistance to the ARC Flood Model Development Manager, R&D and Technical Teams, to ensure quality assurance, quality control and business continuity for AFM-R and other ARC models, software products and in-country work, all output of this work will be fully documented and accessible on ARC’s in-house knowledge management system Teamworks. The GIS & Data Specialist will also produce AFM-R validation SOPs and training material as required for ARC’s training courses.
Expert user of GIS software (ArcGIS, QGIS) for analysis purposes. Expert user of Excel. Knowledge of Python and GDAL for simple scripting would be an asset. Strong problem solving capabilities. Strong analytical skills. Precise, with attention to detail. Ability to work under minimum supervision and under tight deadlines. Information-sharing minded. Strong writing and communication skills, with the ability to translate complex, technical information into clear and simple language.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced university degree in Geography, Hydrology, Natural Resources or related discipline with a strong component of GIS, Remote Sensing and data analysis; or Advanced university degree in GIS, Remote Sensing, Geomatics or related discipline with a strong environmental background.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
Minimum of 4 years of experience in data analysis and/or GIS & Remote Sensing, preferably related to environmental resources and related fields. Experience in standardisation and developing procedures. Some experience in flood risk mapping and flood early warning would be an asset.
International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English and also in French a strong asset. Working knowledge of Portuguese is an asset.