SEI is an independent international research institute, engaged in environment and development issues at local, national, regional and global policy levels for more than a quarter of a century. Our goal is to bring about change for sustainable development by bridging science and policy. We do this by providing integrated analysis that supports decision makers. SEI works from seven main locations, with additional offices linked to these. Project teams generally span locations.
The Research Fellow (RF) supports the lead of the Water Cluster in SEI Asia in undertaking research activities related to ongoing Cluster projects, leading the development of new research projects and mentoring early career researchers. The RF will lead research projects relating to Water Resources Management (WRM), analysis of Water Resources Modelling results, application of Geographic Information System (GIS) for WRM and Disaster Risk Management (DRM).
The RF will work with staff in the Asia Centre and other consortiums on relevant activities of existing programme, including SUMERNET (www.sumernet.org) and SERVIR Mekong (https://servir.adpc.net/) and other future programme related to water resources management and climate change throughout the world, based from Asia. The RF will also collaborate with colleagues in the other SEI centres.The Research Fellow will report directly to their assigned Line Manager (Water Resources Management Cluster Leader), and respective project leaders/managers that he/she is working for, under the overall supervision of the Centre Director.
- Lead or contribute to projects/research related to water resources management, water resource modelling, scenario impact assessment and application of GIS for water resources management and disaster risk management in line with agreed work plans and budgets.
- Write peer-reviewed academic research publications and also be involved in preparing materials for outreach with media and other audiences.
- Contribute to implementation of the Cluster’s work plan, including budget and identification, development, and implementation of research projects within themes that further the aims and objectives of SEI.
- Cooperate with and support colleagues in the research team to ensure high quality research is delivered on schedule and within agreed budgets.
- Report progress in accordance with the SEI Project Manual and project agreements.
- Provide guidance for early career members on research, project management and reporting, and monitoring and evaluation
- Support the centre management and development at the request of the SEI Asia Management Team by contributing to the development of the institute policies and the profile and strategy of the Water Cluster.
- In collaboration with the SEI Communications Team and the Centre Communications Coordinator, facilitate and support internal communications and outreach activities including e.g. presentations, speeches, dialogue workshops and media interviews.
- Contribute to strengthening the relationship between Asia Centre with the host country (Thai government) and partnership with the host institute (Chulalongkorn University) and other agencies in the Asian region.
- Identify funding sources and contribute to fundraising for research projects.
- Contribute to office management (e.g. staff meetings, administrative tasks, recruitment processes and etc.) and other duties as assigned by their line manager.
Required Minimum Qualifications and Required Experience:
- PhD or equivalent with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in water resources management and water resources modelling, scenario impact assessment and application of Geographic Information System (GIS) for Water Resources Management (WRM) and Disaster Risk Management (DRM).
- Working experience within Mekong region or other international river basins.
- Proven research track record and excellent record of academic publications.
- Experience in project implementation.
- Experience in leading (or contributing to) fundraising.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Strong motivation, personal initiative and commitment to excellence and results, as well as enthusiasm for doing scientific research.
- Demonstrated record of interdisciplinary collaboration, partnership and team building and the desire to work in a collaborative environment with time management.
- Network with government agencies, academic institutes and NGOs in the Mekong Region.
- Experience in working in a research or non-profit organization.
- Experience in communicating scientific information to a range of different audiences.
- Interest in working at the interface with social science and policy engagement, and with qualitative approaches
- Experience working in an international environment with colleagues from different cultures and backgrounds.
Salary package including health insurance and provident fund commensurate with academic background and experience. SEI Asia offers an exciting and interesting opportunity to work alongside some of the region’s leading researchers to bring genuine change to the world we live in.