With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
Environmental Defense Fund is seeking a Program Specialist who will provide key programmatic and research support to the Sustainable Sourcing Initiative program, with a focus on NutrientStar and Ag Policy. The Program Specialist will work to support growth and communications of the NutrientStar program as well as provide support on Ag policy. The Program Specialist reports to the Senior Director, Agricultural Sustainability.
The goal of the Sustainable Sourcing Initiative is to achieve EDF’s environmental goals of reducing water quality impacts, creating climate benefits, and generating additional sustainability advantages. The team works to engage key stakeholders at all levels of the agricultural supply chain and foster improved and stronger collaboration with food companies, grain aggregators, fertilizer retailers, service providers, grower groups, and others. We have a multidisciplinary team working to accelerate EDF’s strategic vision for improving environmental resilience and agricultural sustainability.
- Provide support to NutrientStar marketing and communications, including improving and updating the NutrientStar website and messaging to target audiences and exploring development of a web-based training program and social media outreach.
- Support connection and collaboration between NutrientStar and other SSI project and program areas, including work with Ag retailers and food companies.
- Support EDF’s work to advance sustainability goals through policy, including attending coalition meetings, tracking developments in the media, and developing communications materials.
- Assist the team with research projects, communications assistance and other projects as strategically valuable to the team.
- Perform literature reviews and research, analyze and synthesize moderate to difficult information on a variety of NutrientStar, policy, or other technical topics to inform the design and development of SSI efforts.
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills in preparing correspondence and reports, responding to requests for information, and helping to coordinate activities among staff members.
- Build relationships and regularly consult with NGOs, landowners, agricultural retailers, and other stakeholders.
- Master’s degree or higher in economics, communications, farm management, or environmental studies, or equivalent work experience;
- Experience working on agricultural conservation issues, in particular experience working with farmers and members of the agricultural community;
- One to two years’ experience in project management, exceptional personal organization and attention to detail;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience;
- Strong analytical skills and experience in performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work;
- Sense of humor and strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to adapt quickly to new situations and changing demands; and
- An ability to work both independently and as a member of small teams in a fast-paced, dynamic and creative environment.